Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: TJD #2 scratch Axe bass

Aye!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Gunna be a heck of a lot lighter than the originals. The Corts are Mahogany, the Kramers I believe were Maple. Not sure what the Jacksons in between or the two before the Kramers. With Simmons' frame, he could handle the weight.
    Gene Simmons is now 71. I'll bet he'd go for the paulownia axe these days. Nice to see somebody else building with paulownia--and something way more creative than my pretty ordinary p-bass project ;-)

Thanks for all the positive support. I'll see what I can do about some makeup!
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    Gene Simmons is now 71. I'll bet he'd go for the paulownia axe these days. Nice to see somebody else building with paulownia--and something way more creative than my pretty ordinary p-bass project ;-)

Yeh, I think Gene has ditched the Axe... he has a deal with Gibson and T-birds.

I've already built with Paulownia... a canoe named "Splinters"

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    I've already built with Paulownia... a canoe named "Splinters"
    If my bass doesn't work out, I may have a paddle for you...

The plan for this guitar is to use rattle can paint. I have never used them before. I have read the forums on sanding, sealing, sanding, painting, sanding, clear etc.

My question is whether the White Knight Squirts rattle cans from the BGS are suitable?
    The paint and prime colours seem to be what I want.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

That's not a brand I know, but others will chime in. Forum members seem to have gotten good results with a lot of different spray paints.

I have gotten my worst results with Duplicolor--which is a go to brand for a lot of folks here. Maybe because I spray outside, and it's often hot and humid here...

I have gotten my best results with MTN 94, and I suspect I'll never use anything else. It does not need primer. Very high solid content. It's hard to make it run. It will occasionally splatter a little or give that "sandpaper" look, but it sands out out flat very easily. It has such high solid content that it feels a bit like filling primer to me--except that it's paint.

It's sold through art supply stores, including a bunch in Perth (according to the interwebs). Here the price is similar to any other kind of rattle can paint. It looks like that might be true there as well. MTN has a primer, but it does not require one.

https://www.mtnaustralia.com.au/coll...94-spray-paint

https://www.mtnaustralia.com.au/pages/stockists

On a closed grain wood, once it is sanded to 220, you can go ahead and spray the paint. No need for sealer or filler. Paulownia is very open-grained, so I would use grain filler before painting. If it were me, I'd grain fill first, sand to 220, 4-6 coats of paint, scuff sanding with 320 between coats. Let the paint cure for three weeks, then clear coat and sand/polish.

My PBG custom order has arrived - 3 months early.
    I got a SSR-4 - 34 inch neck and a PB-4 hardware kit. I have also picked up a JB type pickup and a bridge cover along the way.

Today I cut and sanded the headstock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1126.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	40865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	40866  

coming along well! I'll be trailing a fair bit behind you. My kit arrived the day I went into surgery. My Brother picked it up from the post office for me, but hasn't been able to drop it off and now he's in lock down . I have all the hardware for it, and the paint, just need the kit!I ran the laminated blade blank through the thicknesser today... your axe is gunna be sooo much lighter!

Looking good, Trevor. It's going to be interesting to see that blade come together. From what I'm seeing on my project, the finishing on paulownia toughens it up somewhat, but that's a bloody thin edge...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast