I started this project before Christmas but was reticent in putting it on the forum in case it was an utter disaster. I was entering into the unknown. So here is the story

I purchased, at a very good price, this lump of Queensland Mahogany (Red Mahogany, Red Messmate – Thanks to Cliff Rogers for identifying it). It was originally to be a live edge tabletop but finally my wife agreed we didn’t have the room. It took two blokes to lift it.

The wood is documented as being a great construction wood especially for bridges. Guitars???.

Earlier discussion to identify the woods is here:
https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...eferrerid=4588

Having built three kits, I thought I was “well-qualified” to build a scratch guitar particularly from unrecognised guitar timber. hihi. As they say, “ignorance is bliss.”

So after lots of research on this forum and YouTube I took the plunge.

My first concern was how to level the wood. It was only about 38mm thick. I could take it to the local Men’s shed or do it all at home as an excuse to by a belt sander, smaller router, jig saw.

I decided to build a Gibson SG off a plan because it is only 35mm thick and the smaller body would help keep the weight down. Buy a neck – some builds are beyond comprehension.

Step 1 – Cut piece out of the plank
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0383 crp.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	717.3 KB 
ID:	40156 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0389crp.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	568.1 KB 
ID:	40157

Step 2
Sand with new belt sander with 80 grit.
There was bit of twist in the timber, so I made some winding sticks on advice from the forum. With careful sanding, measuring thickness and the winding stick I finished with a flat plank about 34mm thick.

Name:	IMG_0423crp.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	618.6 KB 
ID:	40158 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0426crp.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	785.6 KB 
ID:	40159
(with a bit of turps to see the colour and grain, it's a little pinker in the flesh)

Step 3 Cut out the shape.
This step caused the most concern. The internet seemed to say only a band saw would do. A few said jigsaws. My concern was the density of the timber.
On the basis of wanting to build it all at home and an excuse to buy a new jigsaw, I decided on jigsaw. Then I had to research what blades would handle the timber. I could always fall back on the Men’s shed.

Purchased the plan

Name:	IMG_0432crp.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	482.3 KB 
ID:	40160