Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Greg's #4 - Scratch SG

I've used the TruOil filler/sealer and I know Jim C has as well. It seems to work OK without being outstanding. But because I've only ever used TruOil with it, and not without, I can't give a comparison.

Are you going to recess the control cavity cover or will it sit proud?

Thanks for the TruOil filler comments. I will keep you informed.

McCreed – No! Nothing sinister with the control cavity. Just how it was on the plan. Had never seen the inside of an SG before. I have only held one once in the local guitar store to sneak a few photos of the outside.
    I guess the platforms are to reduce the width of the bridging of the cover.

Trevor – On my Strat (ash - no filler) build I did two really thick coats of TO then three more before the first sand off. Then a fairly heavy sand off after every five coats. Still needed about 40 coats in total. I still like TO because it is so forgiving and easy to maintain.

Simon – Thanks for keeping a close eye on my build to keep me on the straight and narrow. The cover is to be recessed but my options keep changing.

First - I was going to make a cover out of wood but the timber options I had were very thick and my router did not have variable speed to use a bigger diameter bit for thicknessing.

Second - I did not want to make a big mess in my garage again, and as the project has gone on for so long, I decided to take the easy way out an use pickguard material. But first I wanted to finish the rasping in case I totally destroyed the guitar. Now I am waiting for the pickguard material to arrive.

Third – sudden change in situation. I have just inherited a Triton Router with variable speed. Now – wood or plastic? Well I think I will go plastic in the interests of getting guitar finished. I have a lot of AC/DC to learn hihi. Then I can think about playing with the new router and thicknessing bit. I will probably have to increase the rebate a little more but I will be very careful.
    Guitars:
    Build #4 - Scratch SG - Qld Mahogany - In Progress
    PBG#3- - ES-1F - kit electronics (Dec 2020)- upgrade if I can do it justice
    PBG#2- - STA-1 Ash w black upgrades GOTM June 2020
    PBG#1- LP-1MQ http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6378
    Acoustics -Washburn WD18SW
    - Maton Australian EA80C
    Electric - Magnum pseudo Stratocaster - upgraded with PitBull bits - 2020

Finally finished this 10-month project. Since the last report I have been working away slowly and carefully.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2426crp.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	545.6 KB 
ID:	41805 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2429crp.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	908.0 KB 
ID:	41806

I used the TruOil Sealer and Filler for the first time. I would rate it a success but next time I would do 3 coats. The first coats of TO finish began to shine much quicker than my previous TO efforts. But I still needed 30 coats. Probably would have saved about 10 coats with a third filler coat as there was still a little bit of grain to fill.
    The main hassle I had was running the pickup wires. The 6mm tunnel I bored through the body (see previous report) was a fraction tight. After a few hours of trial and error I covered the protruding wires with shrinky and with the help to a little WD40 (on wood ???) the wires, including the bridge earth were pushed through.
    The guitar is equipped with a $30 neck from Ebay. PitBull did not have any in stock. But it has dressed well and is solid. My stuff up with the head mentioned in an earlier post was fixed with body filler and 3 attempts with black rattle can. That is another story, suffice to say I think the neck was paying me back for hurting it. Never ask me to rattle can a guitar body though. Severe lack of talent on my part.
    As this is an AC/DC guitar I decided to try the ToneRider RockSongPickups. With the trial today I am very impressed. Plenty of power and very clear. At 10 on the neck pickup there is a very nice crunch which clears as I wind down. (Not the I am very experienced with this sort of thing)
    Bridge components are Gotoh GE-101
    Made from the Queensland(Pink) Mahogany the guitar is slightly heavier than my PitBull Ash Strat. Lucky I don’t play standing up much.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2435crp.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	473.7 KB 
ID:	41807 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2437crp.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	944.4 KB 
ID:	41808 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2439crp.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	773.5 KB 
ID:	41809
    Last edited by GregLane; 08-10-2021 at 07:55 AM.
    Guitars:
    - Maton Australian EA80C

that's just beautiful.
    I wasn't sure how the neck join was going to look but i think you've done a great job at it.

especially love the colour of the timber. gorgeous!

Looks great, well done.
    So how many more Queensland hog guitars can you do?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Stunning work. Makes we think long and hard about a scratch build.... for about 5 minutes, long enough to come to the realisation I lack three essentials - time, patience, skill.

Now you have 4 chords to master and you've got your AC/DC covered.

Finally finished this 10-month project.
    Wow! It feels like only nine!

Nice work! Lovely colour too.
    Good to hear about the Tru Oil grain filler. I've not used it, but always good hear others' experiences with different products.

I just love how, like 99%, (exaggerated) of our native timber is Eucalypt, yet we call it something that's not even remotely related to (other than being a "tree") like "Oak" or "Mahogany". We should get honest with ourselves and just call it what it is : heavy-as-sh*t wood! At least they're generally pretty to look at!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I just love how, like 99%, (exaggerated) of our native timber is Eucalypt, yet we call it something that's not even remotely related to (other than being a "tree") like "Oak" or "Mahogany". We should get honest with ourselves and just call it what it is : heavy-as-sh*t wood! At least they're generally pretty to look at!
    Heavy? Most of them weigh about a metric tonne per cubic metre. You call that heavy? ..........

On the plus side we do have Sandalwood that is of the same Genus as Indian Sandalwood.....
    at least it would smell nice when you burn it as part of the stage act.... now where did I put that lighter fluid....

Thanks for the comments fellas.

Trevor - I have enough timber for a couple. I have recently discovered that the SG Bass guitar has the same body as the 6-string. As I have made the templates, that is next years project. Hopefully not as long again.
    I had intended to do a Tele but that would be way to heavy. I have seen plans for a slimline though. So maybe.

M0J0 – I can probably handle the four chords. The speed changes might be tough. And my wife is not keen on the “terrible noise”.

McCreed – These are all the names I have come across during the build with the “Queensland Mahogany”
    Queensland Mahogany; Red Mahogany, Red Stringybark; Red Messmate;
    Daintree Stringybark; Large-fruited Red Mahogany.

Scientific names: Eucalypytus resinfera, Eucalyptus pellita
    Family: Myrtaceae

I like your name for it, especially after standing up for half an hour.
    Guitars:
    - Maton Australian EA80C

That is awesome! The wood looks fabulous. Neck joint is very tidy too. Fabulous work!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5