Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First build - PB-30M short scale

First build - PB-30M short scale

I'm excited to start my first build and to finally have myself a short-scale bass!

Along with the build kit I also purchased the PB White Pearloid Pickguard, but since receiving it have realised that it's the wrong shape for the main body (see photos). Does anyone have advice of how I can work around this or should I just buy a new one..

I'll post progress photos as I go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.49.45 pm.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	40818  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey Evie, nice pick guard but I think the body is routed for a strat style pick guard not P-bass. You might just have to do a bit of routing yourself to pick up that out let hole. I am doing a P-bass with that style pick guard and the routing follows the curve of the guard. I will send a picture.
    Build-1 ES-3 June 2016 GOTM.
    Build-2 IB-1S
    Build-3. ES-12G June 2019 GOTM.
    Build-4 Gene Simmons axe bass. 43 year project done.
    Build-5. TL-1S May 2021 GOTM joint winner.

I hope this is some help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C8B39C9-A90A-455A-9B72-E2D64E12EDDB.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	40820
    Build-1 ES-3 June 2016 GOTM.
    Build-2 IB-1S
    Build-3. ES-12G June 2019 GOTM.
    Build-4 Gene Simmons axe bass. 43 year project done.
    Build-5. TL-1S May 2021 GOTM joint winner.

The difference is that it is a short scale body and therefore routed differently. The short scale kit photos do show the routing.

As Wayne said, if you wish to use that pickguard, you'll need to extend the routing. If you don't have a router (or someone who does) the other alternative is to customise the pickguard to accommodate the factory routing.

I can't say for sure without physically seeing it, but I think it would be doable by using the existing middle control hole as for the output jack and drilling another control hole within the routed area (maybe between the first existing hole and the pickup mounting hole).
    Doing this would certainly go towards making it a truly custom bass.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

The output jack is on the side in those PB-30Ms, so you don't need to make an extra hole if you modify the pearloid scratchplate you've got (well it should be on the side, but I know someone got a kit without a side hole drilled for them). You just need to cut the scratchplate plate down to fit.

You probably need to mess about with some tracing paper. First mark out the shape of the body and the existing pickup and control rout. Then lay the new pickguard on top and mark it's outline (including screw and control holes). Make sure you get the position/angle correct, so use the neck pocket outline as a guide. You should then be able to see how well the two match up, and what you can cut off the pickguard to make it fit the PB-30M body.

I use a thin bladed jigsaw to cut out pickguard blanks to almost the correct shape, then sand back to the outline you want (I now have a bobbin sander to do this but you can file and hand sand). You can then bevel the edges with a file and sand smooth.

Remember that the pots are wider than the control holes, so you may need to widen the rout to accommodate the pots being in a place determined by the pickguard. If you've got a router, then use that. If not, a sanding drum on a Dremel tool works well. Or you could even chisel it out It doesn't have to be super-neat as it's hidden. You only need to enlarge where the pot goes so it will fit. Just make sure you mark the pickguard outline on the body before doing any work to ensure you don't enlarge beyond the pickguard outline.

The output jack is on the side in those PB-30Ms, so you don't need to make an extra hole if you modify the pearloid scratchplate you've got (well it should be on the side, but I know someone got a kit without a side hole drilled for them). You just need to cut the scratchplate plate down to fit.
    The output jack is shown on the front in the kit photo: Kit photo LINK

Simon's advice on shaping the pickguard and extending the routing is solid though.

This kit is very similar to the SX short scale bass I own, including the jack on the front. Not my favourite location, but I'm not a bass player so I just keep it as is.

Oops! So it is. Memory failure time.

Though you could drill a hole and put the jack on the bottom, which is generally a better place for it. A square or oval mounting plate doesn't cost much. It would make the pearloid jack pickguard easier to fit.

Just check that with the pickups resting in the body routs, the new pickguard fits over the top properly as well as matching the neck pocket. As this is a short scale bass, the distance between the end of the neck and the bridge is less, so the pickup routs may be in a slightly different relative position. No point in progressing further with it if until you now exactly what you are up against. You can always rout the pickup cavities out a bit if necessary, but it's all a question of how much you are prepared to do and how comfortable you'd be doing it.

Thank you for your replies - I ended up doing some routing with a dremel and it all fits nicely now

Quote Originally Posted by evie97 View Post
    Thank you for your replies - I ended up doing some routing with a dremel and it all fits nicely now
    Good result!
    Is it done? When do we get to see pictures?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast