Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: GST-1 'Hexacaster' build

  1. #41
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    8,368
    Yes, I'll try scraping first.

    In the meantime, here it is in the sunshine with the scratchplate on...


  2. #42
    Overlord of Music McCreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    AUS
    Posts
    2,299
    Cool. If the Wizard of Oz played guitar, that's what he'd play!

    I thought I'd easily do it with a 230ml can, but I've now run out, so another can has just been ordered.
    Are you tinting your own clear, or buying pre-tinted?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

  3. #43
    Mentor fender3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,503
    Not bad for a guy who doesn't like green.

  4. #44
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    8,368
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Are you tinting your own clear, or buying pre-tinted?
    Buying pre-tinted. I could buy powdered dyes and mix them with clear, but so far Ive been able to get what I want from Rothko & Frost, and cost-wise I doubt there would be any difference. But if I ever needed a non-standard clear tint, then Id try that route.

  5. #45
    Overlord of Music McCreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    AUS
    Posts
    2,299
    You can also use liquid dyes that are used for tinting resin (I think it's alcohol based). The resin dyes are what I used last year.
    I got a pack of 13 colours for about 12 bucks on eBay. IIRC they were 1 oz each and I only used about .5 oz. of the blue.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

  6. #46
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    8,368
    More green coats sprayed today, I think I'm just about there with those.

    Neck got sanded down twice yesterday and resprayed twice, once as I was unhappy with the tint and evenness and then I accidentally knocked the neck off its spraying hook, so the finish all had to be redone. It was definitely one of my clumsy days.

    But the base tint coat is all done and the decals went on today.



    So tomorrow the first clear lacquer coats go on.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •