Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: GST-1 'Hexacaster' build

Hah! Good one Dozy! That's what I'm talking about.

(that was a funny show btw)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I had plans to make a ‘rotisserie’ but it involved flattening the end of some 35mm aluminium tube. I managed to beat the very end flat with my big lump hammer but I just couldn’t squash it properly by more than 2cm, even after heating it up with a blowtorch. So I gave up on that idea.

I need to keep it compact as it has to fit inside the small spray tent. And I’m in no rush. I’m going to take my spraying a bit slower this time after some issues last year, and give each coat a lot more time to dry before applying the next one.

The new spray tent and spray mask arrived, so I've just given the body a very thinned coat of the green to start with.

I'm going slowly with this, so will leave it until tomorrow before I do another, normal, coat.

I had plans to make a ‘rotisserie’ but it involved flattening the end of some 35mm aluminium tube. I managed to beat the very end flat with my big lump hammer but I just couldn’t squash it properly by more than 2cm, even after heating it up with a blowtorch. So I gave up on that idea.
    On my first version, I used 19mm steel tubing (like towel rail or wardrobe rail) with a flattened end. I think I squashed it in a vice.
    As you can see on v2 , I opted for 20mm galvanised pipe and just flat mounted it to the pine board. This works just fine.

I’m going to take my spraying a bit slower this time after some issues last year, and give each coat a lot more time to dry before applying the next one.
    Yes, I get this. Patience (or lack of) is often my downfall when it comes to finishes. I am getting better in my old age, but I'm still a work in progress .

With the colour, are you going for a trans-green?
    If so , I'll be watching with interest after my failed trans-blue attempt a couple of years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rot.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	40762

I used some old closet pole rather than metal for mine. It had the advantage of being easy cut a flat side.

Name:	IMG_20210604_225621.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	40763

The pole is held in its channel by a U-bolt. The wingnuts make it easy to tighten or loosen in order to hold it in place or allow it to turn.

Name:	IMG_20210604_225305.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	40764

I attached the base to a piece of old shelving to make it free standing and easy to move without removing the body from the jig. This way I can clamp it to a table (or a shelf, as in the pic) to work on, and then store it on a shelf in my garage for drying, curing, or just staying out of the way while I do something else.

It's not nearly as pretty as a McCreed or a Barden jig, but it occurred to me that it was easy to make and might fit in your tent ;-)

On a different topic...Translucent green will be pretty spectacular with that grain. Nice choice.

Translucent green isn't my choice, I'm averse to green guitars, but Steve /Arkieboy wanted it green, so green it is.

Rain stopped spray yesterday, but it's a fine day today so the compressor and sprayguns have been out. Second coat of green applied. It's getting deeper in colour. I don't want it too dark as I want to see the grain, but it needs to be a fair bit darker than this:

Despite the grain filling, you can see the obvious dimples in the finish on the grain highlighted on the arm contour, so it's going to take a few extra layers of clear to give enough depth to fill those and leave enough depth for sanding back without sanding to the green layer.

And the neck of the Hexacaster and my other build, a Harley Benton JB kit, got the amber nitro treatment. So, progress is being made.

It's getting deeper in colour. I don't want it too dark as I want to see the grain, but it needs to be a fair bit darker than this:
    That was something I noticed when I tried my trans-blue experiment. Despite the lacquer appearing very dark in the mixing cup, it took way more coats than I expected to get the colour to deepen on the body.

Nice colour on the the necks too.

It's getting greener:

But I think it still needs to go a bit darker.

I thought I'd easily do it with a 230ml can, but I've now run out, so another can has just been ordered. I've got a few runs on the sides that I need to deal with, so I may end up sanding those right back and respraying them if sanding/scraping makes it look a bit uneven.

You might be able to remove most of the runs with careful scraping with a razor blade. A bit of grinding of the corners so they don't dig in would help.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast