Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: "I can't believe it's not lacquer" is staying sticky

Just a thought, if Acetone dissolves it and you would wipe with acetone between the coats - would that actually help adhering because it softens the top layer? But also, good to know, because if I can't fix it, I could maybe remove it with acetone without sanding into the veneer.
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Acetone will certainly remove it but I'm not sure about it 'softening' the top layer. I'm purely guessing here but it will probably dissolve the finish down to a certain depth, with the finish beneath that remaining hard. A bit like a layer of water on ice. There is no 'soft' ice layer in-between the hard ice and the water; it's either water or ice.

You can always try the acetone though.

Have you emailed Solarez yet, as they are the ones who will really know their product.

As the wipe-on version is best applied chilled, and you have been wiping it on rather than spraying (getting it thin enough to spray is why they suggest you warm it up a bit), you might want to have a go using it chilled. I don't know if there is any real difference between the wipe-on and spray-on versions in terms of additives to the main compound, or whether it's mainly just marketing with different application instructions e.g. cool/warm, but the safety data sheet implied it's 99-100% Polyol Acrylate.

Gosh, I hate that stuff with a passion.

I have sanded it down to as far as I dared. Then, on Sunday when it was sunny here, I added two new coats over the course of a 5 hours, each coat sat in full sunlight for 2.5 hours.

Between each coat, I sanded lightly with P400 this time, wiping it only with a dry paper towel, no alcohol, no water. Then, after sanding, I gave it a few more minutes to cure in the sun before adding the second coat. It sanded well with powdery dust, so I think it was fully cured.

After the second coat, I dry sanded up all the grids - P400, P600, P800, P1000, P1200, P1500, P2000, P2500, P3000, P5000.

Then, I hoped to polish - but nothing. I started with my usual polishing paste (rot-weiß), but no gloss. Then, I tested Autosol - no gloss. Then, I tried the highly abrasive rot-weiß Rubin paste, and now it's just weird. Not gloss, not matte - I don't know what this is.

I really don't know what to do with this stuff, other than throwing it out the window. I think I did almost everything by the book and it does not work. I even used my power drill to polish - this stuff glosses up old cars, why doesn't it work with this?

Now, the only options left is - I think - either live with it (but I hate it) or add something on top to gloss it up. I don't know what would work on top of the Solarez, though. I know that polyurethane doesn't.

Really unhappy right now

Forgot the pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210511_111715.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	275.7 KB 
ID:	40539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210511_111724.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	40540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210510_112120.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	40541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210510_112105.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	40542  

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCluelessGerman View Post
    Now, the only options left is - I think - either live with it (but I hate it) or add something on top to gloss it up. I don't know what would work on top of the Solarez, though. I know that polyurethane doesn't. (
    Don't know if this link will work, but maybe check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjK1e2nFrxw

I think I've watched it 3 times so far.

Yes, but not the US branch. Maybe I should write them directly. But to be honest, I'm not motivated enough to care anymore. Maybe I'll just paint this thing black and scratch some of the color away to reveal the pink. I mean, it can't get any uglier anyway.

You could try getting a piece of scrap, throw some of the solarez at it, scruff it up , and throw some plastic adhesion primer at it (it's clear). Then throw some poly at it and see if it sticks.

Always go to the manufacturer rather than a distributor if you can. I’ll need to get back to re-finishing the 5-string bass soon, so I’ll see how my brush-on version polishes up.

Really sorry it hasn’t worked for you. I know how painful a bad finish can be, with all that wasted effort.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast