Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: "I can't believe it's not lacquer" is staying sticky

Really sorry it hasn’t worked for you. I know how painful a bad finish can be, with all that wasted effort.
    Yes, my sentiments as well. And owning a guitar that you don't even want to pick up is a horrible feeling.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Or I've heard (not tested myself) that a layer of shellac will take anything you put on top

Or I've heard (not tested myself) that a layer of shellac will take anything you put on top
    Or should go over any finish.
    I also was going to suggest shellac (as it is usually my go-to) but not having any knowledge of the Solarez, I didn't put it out out there.

Given the blotchy delaminated appearance of the existing finish, I'm not sure if a shellac coat followed by a new clear (poly?) is going to hide it like poly over poly or lacquer over lacquer tends to do. Nothing to loose at this point I guess.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Mhhh. I do have some shellac here. But will the shellac stick to the Solarez? I also heard that everything likes to stick to shellac, but will the shellac stick itself?
    I'm pretty confident that the blotchy look could be fixed, it's gone when wetting the surface OR when putting another layer of Solarez on top - the problem is, that when putting on another layer, it's not going to look level, so you need to sand it - but after sanding, I get this blotchy look and it will not start to shine when polishing. I had a similar problem with polyurethane on my last guitar, so chances are good the problem is me. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Without being there, or you videoing everything you do, it’s impossible to tell. It’s probably not you though.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7