Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: "I can't believe it's not lacquer" is staying sticky

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I've just double checked and it says on the back 'best used cold from the refrigerator at 45°-50°F'.
    I've got the brush-on version, not the spray version - that may be different.
    OK, I have the spray on formula. But it's too thick for my tiny airbrush to handle, so I'm wiping it on. Even heated it's not like water, more like syrup. My airbrush compressor can only deliver 25 psi, so spraying is not possible for me right how. I'm using a makeup sponge to apply it. Surely not as high quality as a good foam brush, but we are in Lockdown since November and most shops are still closed, so getting the good stuff is troublesome, and "blind ordering" from the web is hit or miss so I use what I have...
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

UV curing may be fiddly but it's certainly a time saver. Ric have always been at least a year behind in their production, so if they can do things quicker, then it's better for them.

Mmmm, now after almost finishing the level sanding, I'm pleased with it so far. Of course I still don't know how durable it is and if I will burn through the finish while polishing (I have a real talent for this). But as of now, I can imagine myself using it again. The question is, are there any products like it available in Europe or UK? Or maybe I should contact Solarez Poland for a quote.... Also interested in the polyester and epoxy top coats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQGCiRlHzks

I found the above on youtube. There must be other UV curing coatings available in Europe. There are several here, but I have not seen them reviewed for guitars... you do see them reviewed for tabletops, though. I think they are primarily marketed to factories rather than to individuals, and may require a UV light instead of just sunlight.

Here's another one that is for luthiers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od5RDmShZxI

...a bit more toxic than Solarez, however.

A very small update so far: It doesn't seem to be pretty scratch resistant. I have just accidentally made a huge scratch with my wedding band. It sands out easily and I think it will be fixed with a new coat, but if you gloss that stuff up, expect it to get annoying scratches the minute you pick up the guitar. I heard good stuff about the Solarez polyester resin, but that needs handling like lacquer with a respirator and a very well ventilated area. You just cannot win I guess.

Maybe? I don't have any guitars with nitro finishes. But the poly one's are pretty durable. But they sure do have their battle scars.

Moral of the story: marriage is bad for guitars?
    Scott.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast