Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Purple Patch

Just don't get 'lazy' and 'burn' through the finish because 'you can't do it right'. That would be a real 'stormbringer' of bad emotions. Don't pretend it won't, 'you fool no one'.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
    I don't know about other places in the world, but finding some grades of sandpaper is getting tough around me. Some bright sparks online have started to charge like $4-00 (AUD) a sheet for 1500 and 2000 grit norton wet n dry paper.

I hear that Supercheap auto still has a range up to 2000. I will be checking tomorrow.
    Yep, it's hit and miss at SCA as well. The two times I've been (to two different stores), both times I've grabbed the last piece of 2000.

The pickguard is done.

Windy, rainy and thunder here today. So bored me stepped away from the punishment of tieing shoe laces. (All hale the master....weirdy. )

I hope I am allowed back into the fold Weirdy. I did this one all on my own.

The ToneRider pickups are wired a little different to kit pickups and even Seymour Duncan. So I had to interpret the wiring diagrams of SD and TR to get an end result. Screwdriver tapping indicates that she does.

Tonerider pickups, coil split with push pull volume pots and full size CTS tone pots. Orange drop 0.0223uf capacitors, switchcraft jack. I used the wiring to and from the three way toggle that came with the kit. (This toggle feels quite sturdy to me and is a lot better feeling than the box type. It seems to pivot vertically across contacts in the middle.) The rest except the green wire for the bridge ground, is vintage push back wire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	40437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	40438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	40439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	40440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	40441  

Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

The wiring diagrams I used.

Seymour Duncan have that great tool.....

https://www.seymourduncan.com/resour...iring-diagrams

Just pick the nature of your install...and away you go.

ToneRider offer a number of PDF style diagrams at the bottom of each page for each pickup style.

https://tonerider.com/product/alnico...v=6cc98ba2045f

The two I mixed through.

EDIT:- Did you notice the difference? The Seymour Duncan diagram has the pickups come in to the push pull switch on different sides of the switch. The Tone Rider has each push poll pot wired exactly the same. I think the SD one gives you the screw coil on both pickups as the split one. Ideas???

Name:	2H_3G_2VppSPL_2T.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	40442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	40443  
    Last edited by ozzbike; 05-05-2021 at 11:36 AM.

The diagrams are electrically equivalent and will give exactly the same sounds.

The two sides of the push/pull switches are identical and isolated from each other, so you can happily swap which side the wires are are taken to. For extra robustness, I’d suggest linking the two sides of the switch so the contacts are duplicated.

Otherwise, for the tone pot arrangement, the Tonerider diagram has the cap linked to the volume pot and then the pot track and then to ground, whilst the SD has the pot track linked to the volume pot and then the capacitor and then the ground. With a capacitor and resistor in series, it doesn’t matter which goes first. The end result is exactly the same. Having the capacitor as the link between the pots is a good idea when using physically large caps like orange drops, with nice thick wire legs. If using the typical small ceramic disk caps supplied with the kits, with their much thinner wire legs, then having them connected to the back of the pot is a better position for them IMO.

The coil you get when you split the coils will depend on how each manufacturer has wired up their pickups, so you definitely need a comparison chart. But using the Tonerider one, the SD diagram will give you the slug coil, the Tonerider diagram will give you the screws. To swap the selected split coil, you swap the hot and ground wires over, so for the Toneriders, green would then go to ground and red to the volume pot lug in order to get the slug coil as the working split coil. But you’d have to do this to both pickups otherwise if you only did one, the both-on humbucker selection would be out of phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The diagrams are electrically equivalent and will give exactly the same sounds.

The two sides of the push/pull switches are identical and isolated from each other, so you can happily swap which side the wires are are taken to. For extra robustness, I’d suggest linking the two sides of the switch so the contacts are duplicated.

Otherwise, for the tone pot arrangement, the Tonerider diagram has the cap linked to the volume pot and then the pot track and then to ground, whilst the SD has the pot track linked to the volume pot and then the capacitor and then the ground. With a capacitor and resistor in series, it doesn’t matter which goes first. The end result is exactly the same. Having the capacitor as the link between the pots is a good idea when using physically large caps like orange drops, with nice thick wire legs. If using the typical small ceramic disk caps supplied with the kits, with their much thinner wire legs, then having them connected to the back of the pot is a better position for them IMO.

The coil you get when you split the coils will depend on how each manufacturer has wired up their pickups, so you definitely need a comparison chart. But using the Tonerider one, the SD diagram will give you the slug coil, the Tonerider diagram will give you the screws. To swap the selected split coil, you swap the hot and ground wires over, so for the Toneriders, green would then go to ground and red to the volume pot lug in order to get the slug coil as the working split coil. But you’d have to do this to both pickups otherwise if you only did one, the both-on humbucker selection would be out of phase.
    I have used the SD diagram more than the TR one. I just matched the hot, ground etc wires. It will be interesting to see how it sounds upon completion. I have identified the wires as per the Tone Rider diagram, which entailed that I had to uncover the black and white wires, and solder it up as per the SD diagram. I even did the opposite side thing.....and I added ground wires to all pots in a square after the pics were taken.
    Last edited by ozzbike; 06-05-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dozymuppet View Post
    Yep, it's hit and miss at SCA as well. The two times I've been (to two different stores), both times I've grabbed the last piece of 2000.
    I managed to get 4 x 1200, 4 x 1500 and 4 x 2000 at $1.49 per piece....cheaper than the Big Green Shed. The boxes on the shelf were all over the place.....I reckon they would go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Just don't get 'lazy' and 'burn' through the finish because 'you can't do it right'. That would be a real 'stormbringer' of bad emotions. Don't pretend it won't, 'you fool no one'.
    One of the reasons I did not make the curved neck pocket.

Finished today.

This is another one that is done......so easy to play...badly in my case...

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	40580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	40581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	40582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	40583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	40584  

11. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast