Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 1st build -- AIB-1F

I'm getting a little more colour into that stripe. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to increase the amount of dye being absorbed?

Perhaps a VERY light rouging up with sand paper and/or steel wool?

You need to be very careful, as you're probably already half-way through the original veneer depth. What may be happening is that you are now seeing the bottom layer of the veneer that's absorbed some glue where it's been stuck down. So it's probably not going to absorb much more stain, and more sanding will remove some more of what little veneer is remaining, lightening it even more.

Have you tried brushing on a very strong dye solution to just that area? Be careful as you don't want to create a darker ring around it.

The only other option I can think of that might work, is applying some tinted clear coat just over the light area (before clearing the whole body).
    This depends on what kind of dye you've used (alcohol, spirit or water based) and what you're going to use for the clear coat.
    The dye/stain and clear need to be compatible to be mixed.

To make this idea work will require a bit (or a lot) of experimenting and careful application, and probably a dozen things I haven't thought about, but it could yield a good result if executed properly.

That's all I got, and that'll be 2 cents please...
    Last edited by McCreed; 15-05-2021 at 06:37 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks for the suggestions.

There is still flaming in the area, so I know that I'm not all of the way through the veneer...

I've been finger dabbing dye directly onto the area, then lightly steel wooling the area to smooth down the raised sections. It seems to be doing the trick.

It is starting to blend in to the rest of the body now

I am learning new skills every day!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3