Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My first build has arrived - Explorer \m/

Looks like a great kit, and idea what colour scheme you are going to go with? As a big Metallica fan I love the Explorer.

Nice. This was the first pbg kit I built as well, you would be okay with a minor shave of the neck, they use a fairly standard profile dual action rod that sits in a channel about 10mm deep and 6mm wide. I did some fairly hectic reshaping on mine around the neck tenon and the heel area.
    Ive found the neck comfortable whilst being chunkier, I play a mix of g style, f style, ibanez style necks and it feels bigger, but not baseball bat ridiculous.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by project_chris View Post
    Looks like a great kit, and idea what colour scheme you are going to go with? As a big Metallica fan I love the Explorer.
    Hey Chris, I'm undecided haha... I know I want to stain it a darker colour, whether its similar to the Hetfield dark wood colour... or walnut, or dark cherry or even black? Am not sure! Am just sanding at the mo while I mull it over.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Nice. This was the first pbg kit I built as well, you would be okay with a minor shave of the neck, they use a fairly standard profile dual action rod that sits in a channel about 10mm deep and 6mm wide. I did some fairly hectic reshaping on mine around the neck tenon and the heel area.
    Ive found the neck comfortable whilst being chunkier, I play a mix of g style, f style, ibanez style necks and it feels bigger, but not baseball bat ridiculous.
    Hey Frankenwashie, thanks for the heads up re the neck! much appreciated. I tried to find some pics of your explorer but finding this site a bit difficult to navigate. Is there a way to see members individual projects? Would love to see how yours turned out!

Mock up - Pre sanding

So far so good.. I think? The neck is really straight and only the 2nd fret seems to be a little high. I had to prop up the saddle a little to check the string height was the same up and down the neck (I started to put the saddle posts in but panicked that they'd get stuck).

So far sanded all over on 180 and 240 (by hand).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9301.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	40129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9303.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	40130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9304.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	40131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9305.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	40132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9306.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	40133  

You really shouldn't put any posts inserts in at this time. You can get them out if you know the right tricks, but each time you do that, they fit a little looser. (Also, don't forget to fit the bridge grounding wire before you fit the top E side bridge insert for good). If you fit the bridge and stop tail inserts now, you can't sand around them or polish the finish properly in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    You really shouldn't put any posts inserts in at this time. You can get them out if you know the right tricks, but each time you do that, they fit a little looser. (Also, don't forget to fit the bridge grounding wire before you fit the top E side bridge insert for good). If you fit the bridge and stop tail inserts now, you can't sand around them or polish the finish properly in that area.
    Hey Simon, to be honest... I did think that. I was following the guidance in the pitbull manual and it states to wrap tape around the post threads, but I knew if I did that I wouldn't be able to inset it at all. Then looking at the picture on page 12 it looks like they just did what I did? Anyway, I got them out gently with some wood blocks and a little leverage without marking the body. I spotted the pre drilled hole for the grounding wire and made a mental note haha

Sounds like you did it right then. The posts themselves wrapped in tape are fine, it's the post inserts that the posts screw into (with the fluted sides) that push into the body that should be fitted right at the end.

So much depends on everyone using and understanding the same terminology, and this is one area where even seasoned builders will differ in their terms for the parts, so it's easy to misunderstand.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Sounds like you did it right then. The posts themselves wrapped in tape are fine, it's the post inserts that the posts screw into (with the fluted sides) that push into the body that should be fitted right at the end.

So much depends on everyone using and understanding the same terminology, and this is one area where even seasoned builders will differ in their terms for the parts, so it's easy to misunderstand.
    I hope you realise you are slowly becoming my guru right hahaha... makes perfect sense now you've said it... (face palm)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0211.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	690.8 KB 
ID:	41279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9559.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	347.2 KB 
ID:	41280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E68A0225-B15F-4F4D-8401-A8D7A2395B4F.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	41281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9611.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	483.8 KB 
ID:	41282

Finished my explorer a while ago but didnt get around to posted pictures! Her she is. Sounds and play fantastic, really happy!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast