Thread: Hello from uk.

Hello from uk.

Hello Everyone, I have built a couple of kits already, but this is my first pit bull kit, I bought the strat hard tail kit. Very happy with the quality so far, neck fits well. And it took 5 days to arrive. Looking forward to building this kit, but I will be spending a lot of time getting the finish right. I’m going for a glass finish showing the natural grain of the wood.
    I just spent some time sanding smooth with 800 grit paper. Looking forward to getting to know a lot of you. And getting advice to achieve the finish I want.

Hi and welcome.

Best to start a build diary and ask any questions there.

Natural wood or a stained finish? With stain, P800 is normally far too fine a level and can close up the surface in patches, making stain take-up uneven. P240 maximum for stain, and ideally P180 if you are happy with that. Initial sanding of the wood should be about removing tooling marks and getting the surface level. If you want a nice gloss finish, then you'll do all the really fine sanding on the gloss. The only place you can afford to sand a bit finer is on the end-grain areas on the sides, as these always take up much more stain. These can be smoothed over a bit more to reduce that.

Hi Jeff and welcome. Pretty much what Simon said, he knows his stuff.

rob