Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: First Build - IC-1 Custom 7 String

Looks very nice indeed.

Your cavity shielding needs a tiny bit more work though. It's far more effective if you fully enclose the cavity with grounded shielding, which means putting tape on the underside of the cavity cover and running the cavity tape up over and around the recess for the cover, so that the cover copper is grounded by its touching the copper on the recess on the cavity.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post

Your cavity shielding needs a tiny bit more work though. It's far more effective if you fully enclose the cavity with grounded shielding, which means putting tape on the underside of the cavity cover and running the cavity tape up over and around the recess for the cover, so that the cover copper is grounded by its touching the copper on the recess on the cavity.
    Ah I wish I saw this comment before I finished stringing up, I didn't notice any interference when I played it, but I do have a noise gate pedal. At least if I notice anything further down the track adding the shielding tape isn't an issue.

I'll be posting images of the finished product later today!

You won’t pick up much interference at all from the control cavity in most situations, but you can find there are some electrically noisy locations where shielding the cavity does quieten things down. You’ll be playing with high gain most of the time, which will magnify any hum, but your noise gate will mask any of that.

I just thought as you’d gone to the trouble of lining the cavity, you might as well get the full benefit from it with a little extra tape. You do need to fully cover the underside of the lid, but you only need run some tape up to one of the screw locations if you want, rather than all the way around the rebate. The screw will ensure the copper is held together well enough for good electrical continuity.

Finished product!

Here it is!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ey3opRu.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	950.0 KB 
ID:	40461

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GfooBPH.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	904.7 KB 
ID:	40460

Very happy with how this has turned out, the slight sheen on the top is exactly what I was after.

Getting used to playing a 7 again (after about 4 years of not owning one) is taking longer than I anticipated.

There are still a few tweaks I want to make before I am fully satisfied but nothing a good setup won't fix.

Now to decide on a name for this guy... i'm thinking either IC-277 (7 strings, 27" scale length). I might end up 3D printing a logo and sticking it on the headstock at a later stage.

I plan on taking some more/better photos on the weekend when the sun is out. But for now, I desperately need to practice

She looks great. Well done. The colours look great.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

That looks amazing. I would be very pleased with that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4