Thread: First Build - PRS-1F

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First Build - PRS-1F

Been waiting a little while, but excited to hopefully take delivery of the PRS-1F kit tomorrow.

I haven't completely settled on colour scheme as yet. For the body top, I have ordered some (dingotone) black stump and bondi blue stain and considering bursting the blue over the black. I think I will try it out on some offcuts first and see what it looks like.

With regard to the back and neck though, I haven't really got any solid ideas, and keen to hear what is generally recommended. The PRS-1F is a basswood body and maple set neck. I read that basswood is relatively soft compared to mahogany so is staining enough to protect from minor bumps and bangs, or will the top coats protect adequately? It is "normal" to use the same colour on the back and neck as the top? Maybe have clear coats to bring out the maple neck and just colour the front of the headstock?

Suffering from a bit of analysis paralysis at the moment!

With the videos and instructions i've seen, it seems like a good idea to attach a stick into the neck pocket to help move the body around while staining/painting. Is it safe to screw this to the body, or is that something that is only done when there's already screw holes for bolted neck guitars?

Looking forward to the journey.

Craig
    Last edited by cjd; 05-04-2021 at 04:54 PM.