Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P 90 and humbucker Coil split

P 90 and humbucker Coil split

Hi guys, I want to replace a humbucker with a P90 in my first kit which is a AG guitar.
    The combination will be 1 x P90, 1 x Humbucker (bridge). It has 2 x volume, 2 x tone, 3 way switch. I want to use a push / pull pot for coil splitting the humbucker. I can find plenty of diagrams for 2 humbuckers which I have used but not a p90 or single coil and 1 humbucker for coil splitting. Does anyone know of a diagram thanks?

I don’t know of a diagram for this combination specifically, but if you can’t find one, you’d basically be taking the bridge pickup and vol/tone pot wiring from a 2 x humbucker w/ split diagram, and the neck pickup and vol/tone wiring from a 2 x P90 diagram. They both meet at the switch, so the switch and output jack wiring should be the same in both anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jonwhitear View Post
    I don’t know of a diagram for this combination specifically, but if you can’t find one, you’d basically be taking the bridge pickup and vol/tone pot wiring from a 2 x humbucker w/ split diagram, and the neck pickup and vol/tone wiring from a 2 x P90 diagram. They both meet at the switch, so the switch and output jack wiring should be the same in both anyway.
    Thanks Jon, I was looking at it again last night and was thinking the same after searching for a hour..🤦*♂️ Thanks for confirming..👍

The P90 + HB searches seem to come unstuck with the addition of 2 vol/2 tone!

If you marry these two diagrams from Tonerider it will give you what you & Jon were saying. I know I wrap my head around these things better with the use of "visual aids".

Just put the push/pull pot shown in the P-90/HB diagram on the bridge volume control position as per the Rebel 90/HB diagram.

https://tonerider.com/wp-content/upl...v=6cc98ba2045f

Don't know it works for you, but there is a way to "auto-split" the bridge HB when switched to the middle switch position (no push/pull pot required). Apparently the P-90 with half HB combination sounds really good. I haven't heard it IRL, but have read about it in a few places.
    Last edited by McCreed; 04-04-2021 at 08:45 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    The P90 + HB searches seem to come unstuck with the addition of 2 vol/2 tone!

If you marry these two diagrams from Tonerider it will give you what you & Jon were saying. I know I wrap my head around these things better with the use of "visual aids".

Just put the push/pull pot shown in the P-90/HB diagram on the bridge volume control position as per the Rebel 90/HB diagram.

Don't know it works for you, but there is a way to "auto-split" the bridge HB when switched to the middle switch position (no push/pull pot required). Apparently the P-90 with half HB combination sounds really good. I haven't heard it IRL, but have read about it in a few places.
    Awesome...thanks McCreed! I’ll give it a shot.
    Thinking of one volume one tone as well now..🤔

Awesome...thanks McCreed! I’ll give it a shot.
    Thinking of one volume one tone as well now..🤔
    Hah!!! I get that!

I call it fluid thinking!!!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Hah!!! I get that!

I call it fluid thinking!!!
    Lol.! Unfortunately there isn't a lot of fluid happening when I'm thinking McCreed..

Another thing to ponder - the P90, and Humbucker body routs are different - I don't understand what AG is, when you mention what the kit is. If it's already routed, you'll need a custom pickup ring, or pickguard, (whatever the setup), to cover the difference in hole size.

AG are the SG shaped guitars. So I assume we are looking at a humbucker sized P-90 here.

10. Liked by: HarmonIser

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonIser View Post
    Another thing to ponder - the P90, and Humbucker body routs are different - I don't understand what AG is, when you mention what the kit is. If it's already routed, you'll need a custom pickup ring, or pickguard, (whatever the setup), to cover the difference in hole size.
    Yes Simon, SG copy. Yes HarmonIser, I routed the front cavity out with a Dremel and added some 3mm ply to fill the side in.
    I actually swapped the idea over to a SG copy guitar I had sitting around for a few years. I battled with it for weeks with the paint I had and got sick of sanding it and painted in gloss black and left it at that. Yesterday I sanded it and thought, that's it, a clear coat and it's done! Haven't seen you around here for a while Simon. Good to see you back again..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5743.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	627.7 KB 
ID:	39984  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast