Thread: Help with TL-1 wiring

Help with TL-1 wiring

Hello! This is my first post here and could really use some help :)
    My father and I recently attempted to do the wiring for the TL-1 kit and seem to be having some trouble with it as we are both inexperienced. We were fairly certain that all of the wires were soldered in the correct place, however after plugging it in we had nothing. We have since unsoldered most of the joints and reattempted it a couple of times, still without success.

We had the most difficulty connecting the pickup's live wires to their respective positions on the switch. As this was a very finnicky task is it possible that one stray part of the live wire could disrupt the circuit?

(On a side note - we had to strip back the insulation on the bridge pickup wiring so that the ground wire could reach the volume pot - is this normal?)

And just to be certain, the pre-soldered yellow wire is the grounding wire that is placed under the bridge, correct?

Sorry that it's not much to go on, but any information would be a great help!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tlboard2.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	711.6 KB 
ID:	39967  
    Last edited by Reverie; 04-04-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Hi Reverie,
    Sorry to hear about your wiring.
    1. One stray wire can definitely disrupt the circuit.
    2. Stripping back the insulation should not be a problem.

I'm not familiar with this kit, so I'm not sure about the presoldered yellow wire to the bridge.

No sound at all could mean a grounding issue. Are you using the copper tape to line the cavity?

Can you post a photo of the circuit and the back of the jack socket? That could help.

Edit: LOL: now I can see the pictures!
    Last edited by Trevor Davies; 04-04-2021 at 03:52 PM.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

3. Liked by: Reverie

And just to be certain, the pre-soldered yellow wire is the grounding wire that is placed under the bridge, correct?
    The yellow wire (hot/signal) is coming off the volume pot and goes to the hot (aka positive) lug of the output jack.

That may have been the whole issue if you had it connected to the bridge.
    With the two black wires (negative/ground/earth) already soldered to the back of the volume pot, one would go to the bridge, and the other to the negative/ground/earth lug of the output jack.

Try re-connecting everything the way you had it with exception to those wires as I described, and report back.

(On a side note - we had to strip back the insulation on the bridge pickup wiring so that the ground wire could reach the volume pot - is this normal?)
    Sometimes this is necessary, but just make sure the bare wire can't come in contact with any of the positive signal wires or positive solder lugs. This will create a "short" and can make horrible crackling sounds or no sound at all. You may want to insulate the bare portion of that wire with tape or heat-shrink tubing (if you have it).

HERE - I found this in my files! I forgot I made this up a while ago. Should get you out of trouble!
    Just follow where the wires go/from, the wire colour's are a bit different but doesn't matter, the electrical path is what is important.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBG TL wiring 7 Lug reszd.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	340.7 KB 
ID:	39968
    Last edited by McCreed; 04-04-2021 at 06:08 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

5. Liked by: Reverie

Hi again,
    looking at the photo: I think the yellow wire is the Hot wire, and the two black wires are both grounded to the back of the pot.

If that is true, the yellow wire and one of the blacks should be connected to the jack socket. The other black wire can be grounded to the bridge.
    (the video is showing the socket lead differently!!)

EDIT: What McCreed says.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

7. Liked by: Reverie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tele.png 
Views:	346 
Size:	941.7 KB 
ID:	39996 Thanks so much guys!

I feel like a bit of an idiot, the issue was that yellow live wire not going to the jack. Got it all re-soldered, assembled, set up and am really happy with it.

Good news, and looks great!
    Don't feel bad. There's a lot to know when doing this stuff. Especially if you've never done it before!
    Glad it worked out. What's the next one going to be?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks for saying that ^^

My father seems keen on making a lap steel out of whatever we can find laying around, so hopefully that won't be a nightmare, though I feel as though we've both learnt a lot from doing this.

Lap steels are comparatively easy, as you don't need to worry about getting a low action for a start!