Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Peavey kb100

It's always wise to be nervous around electricity and circuits. Solid state amps are normally run at much lower voltages than valve amps, but with correspondingly higher internal currents (when running) to compensate for that. But if you don't have access to a schematic to check, and know how to read and interpret it,then play safe and for solid state amps allow a few hours for the caps to discharge after turning it off, and wait a day for valve amps (if you haven't got a capacitor discharge probe).

One thing I can can tell you for certain, is that will have deadly electrolytic capacitors in it. Be sure to discharge them properly before you go poking around in there!
    My bad!!!

I'll just stick to stuff you plug into the amp...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Always better to be safe than sorry. And until you know for certain, always play safe.

First thing I usually do when I get a second-hand Peavey amp, is I replace all the input sockets with new ones, which reminds me, I did that to my Peavey Renown amp and that fixed the intermittent input sockets completely, I'd recommend buying a can of Electrical Clean & Lube from your local Jaycar Electronics shop, and give all the pots a spray with it, you'll need to put a bend in the end of the thin plastic straw that comes with the can of Electrical Clean & Lube so you can spray into the pot, then rotate the pot-knob back and forth through it's full range a few times, that usually fixes crackly/noisy pots.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    First thing I usually do when I get a second-hand Peavey amp, is I replace all the input sockets with new ones, which reminds me, I did that to my Peavey Renown amp and that fixed the intermittent input sockets completely, I'd recommend buying a can of Electrical Clean & Lube from your local Jaycar Electronics shop, and give all the pots a spray with it, you'll need to put a bend in the end of the thin plastic straw that comes with the can of Electrical Clean & Lube so you can spray into the pot, then rotate the pot-knob back and forth through it's full range a few times, that usually fixes crackly/noisy pots.
    1+

For pots, it's better if you can find lubricated contact cleaner. A little tougher to get than the regular stuff, but better for parts that move.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    1+

For pots, it's better if you can find lubricated contact cleaner. A little tougher to get than the regular stuff, but better for parts that move.

Jaycar sell a can of Servisol Electrical Clean & Lube (Cat. No. NA-1012) it contains a lubricated contact cleaner, I think it costs about Au$16.00 or so per can, it is great for pots, Deoxit is good too.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 09-04-2021 at 06:53 PM.

Deoxit is the slightly better contact cleaner, so is great for jack contacts and other push connectors, but Servisol does have that lubricant, so is better for pots. Anything with a lubricant in it is going to accumulate dust so will require regular cleaning, but it's much better than living with scratchy pots.

This is a pic of my can of Servisol Clean & Lube, so far I've had very good results with it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Servisol Clean And Lube_resized.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	40072

Went down to my local electronics shop this morning and grabbed an equivalent product and cleaned my scratchy as heck 20yo practice amp. It’s been bugging me for ages, now it sounds as good as new. Thanks guys 👍.

I have to see if I can get some of that brand. I have trouble finding the lubricated cleaner here.

I think there used to be an attachment you could get for pots so that you could lube them from the top without removing them, but it's been so long since I've seen this thing that I feel like I might be making it up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast