Thread: TL-volume when in middle position

TL-volume when in middle position

Hi All!

After routing my bridge cavity on my TL last week, I must've pulled too hard on the pickup as it stopped working mid-week.
    Now I soldered everything back in place, but... I have the feeling the middle position is not doing what it's supposed to do.

>Should the middle position produce less volume than the neck and bridge position alone?

Much appreciated,

Rolf

Should the middle position produce less volume than the neck and bridge position alone?
    I notice a slight volume drop in the 2 & 4 positions of a strat (this is normal) but not in position 2 with any of my teles. I think this is due the extra loading that occurs in a strat (3 pups; 2 tones) vs a tele set up.
    However, any difference in volume may be noticeable but should not be drastic. This is a result of the pickups operating in parallel and there is a decrease in output.

If you de-soldered and re-soldered everything, make sure you didn't accidentally switch one of the pickups hot & ground. If you did, it would put them out of phase and there would be a definite tonal change (thinner) that could be perceived as a volume change.

The only other thing I can think of is reflowing the solder joins on the switch. A cold solder joint could be impeding the output signal.

That's all I got...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thank you McCreed,

I just plugged in my guitar and checked again and I still have the feeling the positions 1 and 3 are ok. But position 2 is just the bridge pickup, but then on a slightly lower volume.

I will go over the soldering joins and see if it fixes the issue.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    Thank you McCreed,

I just plugged in my guitar and checked again and I still have the feeling the positions 1 and 3 are ok. But position 2 is just the bridge pickup, but then on a slightly lower volume.

I will go over the soldering joins and see if it fixes the issue.

Cheers!
    Have you tapped on the pieces with a screwdriver (or other steel implement) while switching between positions?
    This can give you a more obvious sound to judge the output by.

If you're only getting the bridge in pos 2 but with lower output, we'll have to look in a different direction to suss the issue, but it could still be a dodgy solder joint or ground problem.

Report back with what you find. Interested!

So in the meantime, I found one solder join that was somewhat poor and redid that one.
    Then checked with a screwdriver while switching positions.

Successful!
    Way better volume distribution between the positions.
    Thanks!

I will probably in a couple of weeks attach a quick-connector for the neck pickup position, allowing for quick pickup changes.
    Currently, I have a GFS gold foil 5.6 alnico in the neck but would like to swap to a tele-pickup.
    Basically having fun and keeping myself busy before committing to that second build

And also I do not want to keep touching the guitar with a soldering iron every 6 months or so.

Excellent! Great result.