Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Next build - another tele!

That's looking great Groovy. Sounds like it's been a smoother ride than the first one!

Now, I'm just concurring with Simon here on temps etc. IME 20-25° C is the perfect range for application (as most manufacturers put on their labels). Humidity is also a huge factor. 50% is perfect, and I never spray over 75%.

I know I'm talking about application there, but I personally apply the same principles to curing/drying (for the most part). Warmer is not necessarily better here. You don't want to "bake" poly or lacquer like enamels, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks both,

Yeah it was a lot less stressy than the previous build (which is still soft) mainly because I learned a lot from the previous one. I didn't sand until I had a good amount of gloop on and was ultra careful of the edges. This body has much softer corners than the previous one so it's lot easier to apply the poly and keep it on there.

I could bring it inside the house where the temps are much more consistent but I don't have any convenient hanging places. I'm not sure a curtain rail will be up to it.

In the meantime I have something planned for the headstock to keep me busy for the next couple of weeks - more later!

I bought a clothes hanging frame from Amazon for indoor guitar-hanging duties for about £30. I've also used it outside when its not too warm and there's a bit of breeze )but not too much).

It also gets use for hanging duvets on when recording and it can also be used for clothes drying inside on rainy days during the winter months when I'm not guitar building.

Oh nice - I might have enough bits in the shed to make something like that

Next build - another tele!

While the wait continues for the body to dry, I thought I’d try my hand at some inlay.

I made a jewellers bench thing and bought some abalone off cuts and a jewellers saw. Then I went at it cutting out some letters. There was a bit of a learning curve (keep the saw straight and use light pressure) but I think it turned out okay?

I’m not sure about the underline. It looks good but it’s too short and might be difficult to inlay…

Anyway, the next job is to work out how to inlay. I’m going to practice a load for before going at the headstock!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bold step for your second build. Good on ya!

I look forward to seeing your progress here as I've never attempted an inlay (and tbh, likely never will).
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Awesome. I'm pretty keen to try that myself one day.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah it should be fun - and I need something slow and time consuming to keep me occupied while I wait for the body. I've been watching a lot of YT vids so what can do wrong?

I like your style, Groovyman. I’m personally a fan of inlay. Have you considered making the underline thicker? Or curved or tapered? (Just my 2 cents worth). Looks great nonetheless. Good luck with it.

10. Liked by: Groovyman32

For me the underline would work a tad better if it was a bit longer, so that it ran from the left edge of the right leg of the A to the right edge of the right leg of the H

12. Liked by: Groovyman32

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast