Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P 90 and humbucker Coil split

Rod, if you are thinking single vol and tone, this diagram will do that. Use the edited one at the bottom of the page not my incorrect one at the top.
    https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=6101

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by neverwas View Post
    Rod, if you are thinking single vol and tone, this diagram will do that. Use the edited one at the bottom of the page not my incorrect one at the top.
    https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=6101

Grant
    Thank you neverwas. That’s perfect! I didn’t know you could split some P 90s. I thought they were only single coil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodc View Post
    Thank you neverwas. That’s perfect! I didn’t know you could split some P 90s. I thought they were only single coil.
    A traditional P-90 is a single coil. neverwas was using a Kent Armstrong Noiseless P-90 which is technically a humbucker.
    I have read that Kent does not recommend splitting those because they won't sound very good with one small coil. Same reason people don't split single coil-sized rail humbuckers. They sound very anaemic.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    A traditional P-90 is a single coil. neverwas was using a Kent Armstrong Noiseless P-90 which is technically a humbucker.
    I have read that Kent does not recommend splitting those because they won't sound very good with one small coil. Same reason people don't split single coil-sized rail humbuckers. They sound very anaemic.
    Good info thanks McCreed.

Only splitting the HB, not the P90. As McCreed has pointed out, was using a 4 wire P90 for this circuit. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    As with any guitar setup, you want sort your pickup heights (from the strings) as the volume difference can be quite noticeable.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by neverwas View Post
    Only splitting the HB, not the P90. As McCreed has pointed out, was using a 4 wire P90 for this circuit. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    As with any guitar setup, you want sort your pickup heights (from the strings) as the volume difference can be quite noticeable.

Grant
    Thanks again neverwas..👍 It’s when I saw the 4 wires on the P90 I was thinking maybe that will split too. Wasn’t going to do it though.

There are P90s with coil tap - extra winds for hotter output, and a tap at a lesser wind mark, to allow for a lower output option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2