Thread: PB-30R Short Scale Bass - tuners

PB-30R Short Scale Bass - tuners

Hi everyone!

My kit arrived today, and I have some questions.

This is my first build, so I'm a bit nervous, and a bit confused by the instructions.

So, the instructions to fit the neck say to run strings from the bridge to the tuners, to align the neck.

The bridge fitting instructions say to fit the bridge by measuring from the neck - a bit of a chicken and egg situation! :-)

What is the correct order to do this in?

Also, the tuners don't screw together as described in the instructions - they appear to have bushings that press into the holes in the headstock from the front, and get screwed in from the back - is this correct? Looks like I need to figure out how to keep them nicely centered while drilling the holes - any ideas?

Thanks
    Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuner.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	383.8 KB 
ID:	39914  

Hi Pete,
    as far as the tuners go; insert the bushings first, then the tuners should be a snug fit, then screw them into place. Centering should not be an issue. I had similar style tuners with my pinewood explorer.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Hi Trevor
    Thanks for the advice!

Do you just tap the bushings in with a hammer and block, or do they need some glue?

The bushings are about 2mm bigger diameter than the tuner pegs, so maybe I need to wrap them in tape or paper to keep them centered while I drill the screw holes.

Cheers
    Pete

Hi Pete,
    Yes I just used a hammer and block (no glue). They also came out with a gentle tap with a hammer and large screw driver. I'm sure mine were quite snug.
    Maybe wrapping in paper will help.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Awesome, thanks!