Thread: Wiring on ST-1L

Wiring on ST-1L

Hi all,

I am having a little trouble following the wiring for my ST-1 kit (embarrassing given most of it is done for me!). I have watched the instructional video which includes two wires and looked at the wiring diagram as well, however my set up does not look simillar. I have three wires, 2 blacks and one yellow, all coming from the volume pot. The yellow wire is attached to the volume pot as shown in the wiring diagram (i.e. attached to the little button coming off volume pot) whereas the two blacks appear to be soldered to the top of the volume pot.

Has anyone come across this before? Having trouble distinguishing the earth wires from live wires and which earth to sodler to bridge v input jack.
    Last edited by Alanvm151; 17-03-2021 at 01:58 AM.

Easy peasy!

The yellow wire is the "hot" or positive signal wire which outputs from the entire circuit. This gets soldered to the hot/positive lug* of the output jack. (*the little "buttons" on the pots and jack are called solder lugs)

The 2 black wires are part of the earth/ground/negative (same thing, different names) half of the circuit. One of those two black wires will get soldered to the earth lug (as per diagram) of the output jack. The second black wire will get soldered to the claw of the vibrato bridge assembly. The claw is what the loop end of the vibrato springs attach to in the rear cavity.

Hope that makes sense. Just ask if you have anymore questions.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks McCreed, I got that resolved and now have a new issue! I soldered all 3 wires and connected to amp to test my work, no sound at all. However, when I removed the black earth wire from the output jack, sound comes through (I touched the pickups with solder to test it). Any idea why this might be happening?

Just to update I solved this, it was just a poor solder on the earth wire , now done!

Excellent result!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...