Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Scratch body experiments

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Just for show. Everything is guess work. Bite your tongue and just draw freehand
    Yeah, that's what I figured!

BTW, are you fortunate enough to have a band saw to cut out those blanks?

If I do (sorry, when I do) the layered blank thing, I'll have to do each piece with a jig saw then clean them up after being laminated.

Edit:

I just remembered I got a new 710w Rockwell Jigsaw a couple of years ago (used it once!) and that will allegedly do timber up 85mm, so a 60mm pine blank should be like cutting cheese! Woo-hoo!!!
    Last edited by McCreed; 24-03-2021 at 10:40 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

No band saw here mate. So yeah I trimmed with jigsaw then router to template. Necessity = invention

3. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Before you upgrade to a bandsaw, you must have done at least one full thickness solid body, cut by hand with a coping saw.
    Tho thayeth Igor!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

5. Liked by: OliSam

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Before you upgrade to a bandsaw, you must have done at least one full thickness solid body, cut by hand with a coping saw.
    Tho thayeth Igor!
    Me and coping saws...maybe I just don't spend enough time with them

No band saw here mate. So yeah I trimmed with jigsaw then router to template. Necessity = invention
    Thanks for sharing this. I want to build a scratch guitar and would prefer not to buy a bandsaw. I'm glad to know using a jig saw is at least painless enough that you've done it more than once.
    *Pictures may be rotated due to my proximity to the equator.

Coupla neck pockets ready for hogging out, then routing in the AM when I can use the noisy tools

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Tho thayeth Igor!
    Ha! I'd be happy to try that. Please send Igor over ;-)

I certainly see the value of a bandsaw, but since I don't have room or budget for one... this sort of thing has some appeal...

Having some templates and headstocks with a jigsaw, the blade tends to wander on the curves, and it's nearly impossible to keep it at 90 degrees. I am guessing body blank would be worse. Something like this might shorten the cleanup time after making the initial cut.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    Ha! I'd be happy to try that. Please send Igor over ;-)
    He’s happy to travel, but not great in humid atmospheres. He tends to short out.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I certainly see the value of a bandsaw, but since I don't have room or budget for one... this sort of thing has some appeal...

Having some templates and headstocks with a jigsaw, the blade tends to wander on the curves, and it's nearly impossible to keep it at 90 degrees. I am guessing body blank would be worse. Something like this might shorten the cleanup time after making the initial cut.
    Great ideas there @fender3x . Definately something to consider as a bandsaw alternative. And yes I did also experience some wander on the jigsaw not keeping 90° especially the thicker you try to go through. I think if you can do it in layers you have a better chance of a straighter cut.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast