Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Scratch body experiments

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Yes great thinking. I considered binding and then got lost in figuring out how to route for it with what I have. Will have to look into the faux method. I like the headstock veneer idea to match the front of the body.
    Like what you’re up too BD.
    I’ve used a dremel to route out a channel (roughly I’ll admit) for binding and glued a veneer on top. Took a lot more care shaping and sanding the veneer to hide the work underneath. I guess I want to say is you might want to consider the smaller tools as well. If I had make a template I think it would be a perfectly acceptable way of doing it. You obviously have router experience though and I’m sure you know what you are doing, but I thought I’d just put it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Yes, I am looking at this for the Bargain bin ES-V. I have a whole bunch of rebate bits, but they don’t give me the right spacing to do a binding channel, or at least the right depth binding channel. I have access to a machine shop at work, so I was thinking I could machine some brass bushes in varying widths to compensate
    That could be a very cool option to get what you are aiming for - keep us updated on that project. I also need to have a look at the little guide bearing attachment that came with my trimmer to see if that could be employed accordingly here.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Nice part of the world. I've been over that way when we lived in Geelong six years ago. Drove the long way around once and also took the ferry over from Queenscliff.

Maybe just as well your not in Brizzy. I'd likely become a serial pest!
    Yes, we love it here - a beautiful place to live. Ha! I'm sure i wouldn't consider you as a pest. I don't think we would get much work done though, as we'd have a lot to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Like what you’re up too BD.
    I’ve used a dremel to route out a channel (roughly I’ll admit) for binding and glued a veneer on top. Took a lot more care shaping and sanding the veneer to hide the work underneath. I guess I want to say is you might want to consider the smaller tools as well. If I had make a template I think it would be a perfectly acceptable way of doing it. You obviously have router experience though and I’m sure you know what you are doing, but I thought I’d just put it out there.
    Thanks DM - appreciate the reminder about the little guy. You can get some really cool attachments for the dremels as well. Will keep this in mind though, thank you mate.

Hi BD,
    Nice work so far! I loved the cheeky rubdown - that guitar will look beautiful.

What is the purpose of the plywood? Is that for stability?

And maybe you've seen these before, but since I'm gearing up to build an acoustic (and always dreaming about a scratch build) I've been thinking about how to do bindings, so here are some things for ideas/inspiration:

This is a Dremel attachment from StewMac:
    https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...waAhQHEALw_wcB

This is a binding jig. Basically it holds the router perpendicular to the table, and lets it slide freely in the vertical direction for when the guitar is not a constant thickness, so the binding channel is always the same depth. There's a 'donut' mounted to the base that rides on the surface of the guitar. A fixture may be needed to hold the guitar level if it has a carve or bevel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tkojams-albums-57-lp-custom-replica-2-picture42626-106jig.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	39757

Thank you for the inspiration, I'm enjoying this thread so far.
    *Pictures may be rotated due to my proximity to the equator.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Garfield View Post

What is the purpose of the plywood? Is that for stability?
    Hey Joe!

The purpose of the ply is mainly for being cheap and available. And it's the perfect thickness for being able to use cheaper more accessible wood panels, to get the body to overall ideal thickness.

Thanks for the links and further ideas to ponder.

5. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Slow progress on each body. Still some round overs and more sanding to do and then neck pockets.

7. Liked by: Joe Garfield

So good to see all three lined up like that.

Am I right in saying the double cut is going to be set neck?

Quote Originally Posted by dozymuppet View Post
    So good to see all three lined up like that.

Am I right in saying the double cut is going to be set neck?
    Yes, Dozy DC will be a set neck and the others bolt on

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Fernangling with getting centre lined up on the heel
    What are those things on top of the body used for???

Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    What are those things on top of the body used for???

Just for show. Everything is guess work. Bite your tongue and just draw freehand

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast