Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build TLA-1

2nd Build TLA-1

The paint is only just dry on my first build so this morning I ordered my second kit.

I've gone for the TLA-1 (Ash body, maple neck telecaster) and upgraded the pickups to the Tonerider Vintage plus set.

The plan is to go for a natural finish but I'll see how the grain looks before deciding.

I'll be on here soon with lots of questions about grain-filling, shaping the headstock and many more.

The paint is only just dry on my first build so this morning I ordered my second kit.
    What took you so long??? I'd say you are officially hooked...

The TLA's very popular here, so you'll have no problem finding info.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    What took you so long??? I'd say you are officially hooked...

The TLA's very popular here, so you'll have no problem finding info.
    Yes...officially hooked, I've already got build numbers 3, 4 & 5 planned.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamjohnston80 View Post
    Yes...officially hooked, I've already got build numbers 3, 4 & 5 planned.
    Now yer talkin'!!!

Unboxing

The TLA-1 kit arrived today.

I'll do a proper mock build at the weekend. I just had time to do a quick parts check and general overview.

It all looks okay. The body has a nice grain which will suit the natural finish I'm planning. I've upgraded to the toneriders. The neck slotted in no problem, if anything a little loose.
    The holes for the bridge have already been drilled. When I lined them up the scale length seemed a little short but I'll know for sure when I do the mock-build. The gap in the pick-guard isn't wide enough to accept the neck so that'll need some adjustment.

One small thing was some yellowish staining on the second (and first) frets. The nut also wasn't fixed in and the woodwork is a bit rough around here.

Mock Build

Today I did a quick mock build of the Tele kit. I was expecting to have to measure up and mark the bridge position but this kit has most (if not all) of the holes pre-drilled, strap buttons and all.
    I was a bit dubious but when I secured the bridge using the pre-drilled holes and stuck 2 strings on, things lined up pretty nicely. Neck might need a wee nudge.

Scale length was also okay (I think) - maybe a smidge short on the bass string but plenty of room to manoeuvre on the treble E. Should be 324mm (half of 648mm).

The Grasshopper

I also had a visitor yesterday when I was mucking about with the guitar. It just may have helped me to name the guitar:
    Introducing 'The Grasshopper!'

Better hope he doesn't return when you're doing the finish!!!

re: scale length - It's better to measure the entire length from the nut rather than the "half x 2".
    Both of those E saddles look fine. I think you'll find the bass E may intonate even further back than it is now.
    You may even get away with using shorter intonation screws, which is not usually the case so you're fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Better hope he doesn't return when you're doing the finish!!!

re: scale length - It's better to measure the entire length from the nut rather than the "half x 2".
    Both of those E saddles look fine. I think you'll find the bass E may intonate even further back than it is now.
    You may even get away with using shorter intonation screws, which is not usually the case so you're fortunate.
    He may find himself a permanent part of the guitar if he arrives shortly after a coat of TO.

My ruler only goes up to 600mm, I always find the tape measure doesn't give as accurate a result due to the bending (I do have a really cheap crappy one).

It's worth having a longer one.
    20 bucks at the BGS will get you either one of these:

Lufkin 1m steel

Lufkin 1m folding

I have both, and have checked the folding one against the steel and it's spot on (±.25 mm). Certainly close enough for doing this stuff. After all, it's not micro-surgery.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast