Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build TLA-1

Return of the Tele

So, after a few months break from the forum and guitar build, parts of NSW have now been locked down so it's a perfect opportunity to continue the build.
    Basically all I had done with the build was some sanding. This morning I sanded and sanded and sanded some more.
    I'm going for the natural finish on this one. The Neck got 2 coats of Tru-oil. For the body I'm following a combination of methods that I've read on here and elsewhere. Sanded to 400 and today applied 2 coats of Tru oil to seal the wood. Tomorrow I plan to fill the body using timbermate.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    A natural finish will look good with that body.
    Thanks Simon. That's what I'm hoping for. It does have a nice grain.

Update

A quick update on the Tele build.

Things have sped up a bit in the last few weeks as I've been working from home more often during the lockdown.
    After leaving the neck to cure it got a final polish, nut glued in and tuners installed.
    The body has had it's last coats of TO after wet-sanding up to 12,000 with micro-mesh pads. Going to leave it for 1-2 weeks before polishing.

Also ordered my next kit this morning, I'll start a new thread soon.

12000 grit micro-mesh is definitely classed as polishing in my book, but there's nothing wrong in leaving it a bit longer before the final rubbing compounds are used.

All looking very nice indeed!

The neck looks great, and the decal bedded in very nicely.
    I wasn't sure about the headstock shape at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it!
    (my brain gets stuck in "traditional" very easily )

12000 grit micro-mesh is definitely classed as polishing in my book...
    Yeah, I have a sheet of 12,000 that came in my Micro-Mesh kit; I don't think I've ever used it!

I think maybe I've gone up to 8,000 once...
    I couldn't see or feel a difference from 6,000 so never bothered going beyond that again. TBH I generally stop at 4k nowadays and finish with Micro-Gloss polishing liquid.

I'm not telling you to not up to (down to???) 12k, just relaying my experience.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

TBH, it has got to a point where I'm not sure how big a difference it is making. I do know that it helps knock off any minute high spots and feels great at the time but maybe that's because it is wet too?
    Anyhoo, I will hit it with the Meguiars in the coming weeks for that final shine.

Does TO have the same rule that if you can smell it, it's not ready/cured? I'm giving it a week anyway, is that enough time?

I love the traditional Tele headstock shape but wanted something a little different but not too weird.
    I pinched the idea from these lovely guitars:
    https://www.dpergoguitars.com/explore.html

Quote Originally Posted by grahamjohnston80 View Post
    I love the traditional Tele headstock shape but wanted something a little different but not too weird.
    I pinched the idea from these lovely guitars:
    https://www.dpergoguitars.com/explore.html
    I like yours better!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I couldn't see or feel a difference from 6,000 so never bothered going beyond that again.
    It depends on what finish you are using it on. There can be a very big difference between 6000 and 12000. At 6000 you are often just getting a shine through, at 8000 it's almost there and at 12000 it's there. On a big area you may just want to go up to a polishing compound sooner, but for something small, a few extra seconds using 8000 and 12000 can give very good results.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast