Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New project guitar

New project guitar

Damn you FB Marketplace!

I've been wanting to do something for a while now, and yesterday my impulse buying took over...

This Squier Affinity Tele popped up and fit my budget as well as aligning with my intentions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TL 750x1k.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	39653

I have all the parts I need (all which I have accumulated over several years and multiple builds) with exception to a string-though bridge which I ordered today. Pickups will be a set of Fender Gen 4 Noiseless. (love the Gen 4's)
    I'll change all the electronics as well.

I plan to refinish the neck with my own satin poly. It has a factory "satin urethane" finish but I hate the way it feels.
    I'm undecided on the body finish at this time. I want to contour it and modify the neck join, but I think I'll just do the string-through first and play it that way for a while. Surprisingly the slightly thinner body is already an advantage with the upper fret access.

It's only 3 months old and as new but for a small chip in the finish near the neck pocket. A part from slightly high action, it plays quite well already. Neck pickup is horribly muddy though.

So this will scratch an itch without diving into a full build.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Oooo Score!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Yeah, I had convinced myself a while of NO MORE GUITARS, but being of weak constitution, I have failed (again).

In my defence I have one other guitar up for sale...

One in... one out... that's the same thing isn't it???

Pretty sure that's rule #17 in the Domestic Harmony Handbook.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

5. Liked by: wazkelly

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Yeah, I had convinced myself a while of NO MORE GUITARS, but being of weak constitution, I have failed (again).

I mentioned this concept to the bride. She’s still laughing.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by dozymuppet View Post
    Pretty sure that's rule #17 in the Domestic Harmony Handbook.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    There'll be no new ones here for some time, I've just spent large on bits for the new race car and I will be in deep doo doo when a couple of pallets turn up

Well it's now just pile of parts, so easier to hide the evidence!

Spent some time today just checking fit for my aftermarket bits & pieces. Most everything will drop straight in or go in with very minor adjustment. I was happy to find there is adequate depth in the control cavity for the CRL switch. No routing required.

Should have it plugged in and playing before the end of the week. Mrs. McCreed is away with work all week...

The take home message here is...

One guitar for sale does not equate to one guitar sold. Total number is + 1.

Well it's now just pile of parts, so easier to hide the evidence!

Mrs McCreed does not know.
    As a number of wise forums members before me have said, “Sometimes it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.”
    Keep up the good work 😉

I've had some time to play this guitar after an initial pickup swap and proper set-up. I really do like it, and have shortened the "to-do list" on mods.

I posted in a couple of other threads about using my new saw rasp, and asking Ozzbike about using FW Golden Teak. These both have been in relation to this project.

I decided to just dress and profile the heel right back to where it meets the body and forgo the re-shaping of the pocket. The slightly thinner Affinity body and new heel shape actually make for good comfortable access to the upper frets more than expected.
    My original also scheme involved comfort contours and a full refinish, but given how light the Poplar body is I'd be concerned about neck-dive if I removed that much material. Also, in the end I like the colour and couldn't be arsed doing a refinish when I still have a scratch body build in the back of my mind.

The other day I stripped and sanded back the neck (bye-bye Squier logo), re-shaped the heel and stained with a couple of coats of FWGT. Following my discussion with Ozzbike, I was going to hit it with some Tru Oil today (pre-poly) but my bottle had skinned over, so I shot it with a few coats of shellac.

The shellac has a lighter amber colour than Tru Oil, but spraying it gave me a pretty good build so got a decent amber hew on top of the golden teak. Unfortunately the weather is not cooperating this weekend (looks to be a very wet Easter Sunday & Monday) so too humid for finishing. Hopefully get back to it midweek.

I've also decided to keep the stock top-load bridge, although I did switch the saddles to solid stainless steel block ones I already had. I do like the feel of the top-loader (my first & only). This, despite buying a brand new string-through bridge and set of ferrules! (Oh well - save them for the next one!)

I'll post some pics when it's done. There will be very little cosmetic changes, but it will play and feel a whole better. I guess that's the important part!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast