Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I know it’s not a Gibson, but I have to try

I know it’s not a Gibson, but I have to try

This will be my first attempt at building a bass. March 12th just started sanding today. I’m impressed with how good the surface was before I started. I’m building what is supposed to be a Gibson SG Copy, I’ll get it as close as I am able to. Been a long time since I did some work on finishing furniture. Hope that helps me get the staining right.

Welcome CountryBass.

Been a long time since I did some work on finishing furniture. Hope that helps me get the staining right.
    Just think of it as furniture with strings... and pickups!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hi and Welcome CountryBass,
    Good luck with the build. How do you intend to finish your SG copy?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

I appreciate your support. Furniture w/ strings isn’t what I thought of but I will now!
    Thanks for the welcome!
    Last edited by CountryBass; 15-03-2021 at 09:56 PM.

I am going with Cherry stain and a gloss finish. I’ve worked gloss finish on a few pieces of furniture so I think I can handle it on a bass.

Have a question on the neck. Should I sand it like the body? Seems awful smooth now. I know it needs some sanding in order for the stain to take right. But I’m thinking just a scuff would do with like 600 grit paper. And thanks for the welcome.

Got grain filler from Amazon. Gork’s goodfilla in mahogony tint. Seems like it will be easy to work and sand. Anyone have any experience with this filler?

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBass View Post
    Have a question on the neck. Should I sand it like the body? Seems awful smooth now. I know it needs some sanding in order for the stain to take right. But I’m thinking just a scuff would do with like 600 grit paper. And thanks for the welcome.
    Hi CountryBass,
    The neck on my AG-2 was very smooth also, I sanded it to 240 grit like the body and then stained it.

and sorry, but I'm not familiar with the grain filler.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

I have used 400 and 600 grit papers for neck recently and I am happy!
    Real smooth finish, fyi, no top coats on the neck for me on either my tele or bass build.
    I ensured all pores are closed and wet sanded ... Like the feel

Dont forget to post pics if you can, would love to see your progress.
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast