Thread: Italian P90'S Les Paul, Red27-1

Italian P90'S Les Paul, Red27-1

Hi to all.

Michele Bernini from Italy is writing.

As in the welcome thread, i've decided to try to built a new one guitar and my choice is the LP kit with P90.

The guitar will be the third Les Paul of my "Lp Team". Gibson LP Gary Moore 2000's and Harley Benton SC550 (hard customized)
    Other guitars was two oldest superstrat of the '90s a Tamaki '9 and a '93 Lag The Beast

I was a bit concerned about giving the good shape to the headstock but no reason to it. The headstock became fine, not perfect but fine. I am however not in searching of perfection, i want a bit of "rough" here and there, the guitar have to appear (a bit, only a bit) as "homemade".

Yesterday i'd proceed with the first sanding body and neck.

I've moist a bit the body, wait some minutes to dry, and i've done a first sand with 400 paper, and a second with 1200.

I'm happy about the result, it is very smooth.

I've a question about the surface. On the back of the body, it becames very smooth but also very "clean", the veneer is really visible. Very nice, it is almost "polished"

On the boardside of the body instead, the surface is smooth similarly but the veneer is not equally visibile, the surface is "white" here and there, not "polished" effect, but however very smooth

In my intention the final color it will be a cherry red. To have it properly i've to insist till to have also the polished effect on the boardside?

Another question.

In the weekend i will start with sanding the flamed top of the body, i've no time yesterday to do it

I've to follow the same procedure? moist a bit, and sand, and then paint (and sand to leave only the veneers)?

Or i paint directly?

Thank you, Michele (sorry for my english, i'm not usual with "guitarist english language)

Quote Originally Posted by Red27 View Post
    Hi to all.

Michele Bernini from Italy is writing.

As in the welcome thread, i've decided to try to built a new one guitar and my choice is the LP kit with P90.

The guitar will be the third Les Paul of my "Lp Team". Gibson LP Gary Moore 2000's and Harley Benton SC550 (hard customized)
    Other guitars was two oldest superstrat of the '90s a Tamaki '9 and a '93 Lag The Beast

I was a bit concerned about giving the good shape to the headstock but no reason to it. The headstock became fine, not perfect but fine. I am however not in searching of perfection, i want a bit of "rough" here and there, the guitar have to appear (a bit, only a bit) as "homemade".

Yesterday i'd proceed with the first sanding body and neck.

I've moist a bit the body, wait some minutes to dry, and i've done a first sand with 400 paper, and a second with 1200.

I'm happy about the result, it is very smooth.

I've a question about the surface. On the back of the body, it becames very smooth but also very "clean", the veneer is really visible. Very nice, it is almost "polished"

On the boardside of the body instead, the surface is smooth similarly but the veneer is not equally visibile, the surface is "white" here and there, not "polished" effect, but however very smooth

In my intention the final color it will be a cherry red. To have it properly i've to insist till to have also the polished effect on the boardside?

Another question.

In the weekend i will start with sanding the flamed top of the body, i've no time yesterday to do it

I've to follow the same procedure? moist a bit, and sand, and then paint (and sand to leave only the veneers)?

Or i paint directly?

Thank you, Michele (sorry for my english, i'm not usual with "guitarist english language)
    CAUTION. If you have a guitar with a veneer they are very very thin. be very careful when sanding as you cant do much. There is always some glue left on the from too. As i dont have much experience in this area please wait till one of the other members contacts you before you start sanding the front. they will guide you in the right direction.
    By the way Buona sera. Mitchell
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

Welcome Michele,
    I hope the build goes well.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Hi Trevor, till today the works are go ahead good.

In the week end here will be bad weather, no motorcycles trip, then i will start to paint!
    Last edited by Red27; 05-03-2021 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroburner1000 View Post
    CAUTION. If you have a guitar with a veneer they are very very thin. be very careful when sanding as you cant do much. There is always some glue left on the from too. As i dont have much experience in this area please wait till one of the other members contacts you before you start sanding the front. they will guide you in the right direction.
    By the way Buona sera. Mitchell
    In the week end i will try, we'll see. ;-)

Today the works are gone ahead.

I've replaced the plastic nut with the bone nut.

I've re-sand the body, that now is clean with an almost red tone that i like.

I've put in place all the paper scotch. Tomorrow if possible i will start to paint the black heastock, and the body top, also with black, to fill the veneer.

Just to keep myself busy i've also finished my Harley Benton.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	319.7 KB 
ID:	39598

The works go ahead. some error, i've done a "spot" sanding the body after a first paint of black (too much black, first lesson learned), but the effect is not so bad.

However. it's an amazing work!

Name:	20210310_174301.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	310.0 KB 
ID:	39613

Name:	20210310_082457.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	382.2 KB 
ID:	39614

Painting ending.

I'm happy.

It's a pity about the spot close to the neck volume pot hole.

This morning when i was seeing to this spot, it recall me the spot of Jupiter. I don't know why.

Then the name of the guitar will be Jupiter Spot!

Hi Michele,

Can you post a close up shot of your "spot" ? We may be able to help you remedy this if we can determine what it is. A scratch could do with some light sanding. A blemish could be a glue spot - there are plenty of posts on here about how to go about trying to reduce or remove that glue spot.

Unfortunately the spot was done by myself. 've grasped too much at first sanding. Too much black colour, no experience = spot!

But no matter with that, it is close to the pot, that will "cover" it a bit. And it is a bit "relic". i've decided to leave it.