Thread: Mystery bits

Mystery bits

Ist Build AES-1.

A couple of plastic bits i'm not sure of, can someone put me straight please.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Longprong7,
    Did you mean to include a picture?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

I DidClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210707_192117[1].jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	40969

Truss rod cover and the round Rhythm & Treble 'poker chip' surround for the pickup selector switch. The two screws are for the truss rod cover, there should be some double sided tape on the back of the poker chip. Last things you'll want to fit.

Hi Longprong7.
    The circular bit is the cover for the 3 -way switch. The bell shape is the truss rod cover for the headstock hole where the truss rod nut is accessed.
    I suggest googling pictures of the AES -1 style guitar to give you some ideas about using them. I think the switch cover is optional (though I like them) and the truss rod cover should definitely be used.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Thanks Fellas, bloody hell Trevor, I googled as you suggested and here's a guy building the same guitar and asking all the same questions. Wish I had seen it sooner as I have made a couple of mistakes , one being not seeing and removing a couple of glue spots. I have put about 12 coats of Tru-oil on the whole guitar as I like the natural timber look.

Not that crazy about Tru-oil, I wouldn't use it again. It dries too quick for my liking. I'm a pretty experienced wood worker and there is a lot of better products around. I'm in the process of wet sanding the guitar back to a smoother finish and will then try a final couple of coats on a cool morning,hoping for a better finish.
    Cheers

Jim

7. Liked by: Fuzzyworbols

Quote Originally Posted by Longprong7 View Post

Not that crazy about Tru-oil, I wouldn't use it again. It dries too quick for my liking. I'm a pretty experienced wood worker and there is a lot of better products around. I'm in the process of wet sanding the guitar back to a smoother finish and will then try a final couple of coats on a cool morning,hoping for a better finish.
    Cheers

Jim
    This confirms my suspicions. People rave about the stuff but I’ve seen videos etc and can’t see the hype.
    I think some products get used a lot by people, then suddenly become “the standard” despite not being the best option. Different strokes I guess?

Have you got a build diary, I’d love to see how it turned out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzyworbols View Post
    This confirms my suspicions. People rave about the stuff but I’ve seen videos etc and can’t see the hype.
    I think some products get used a lot by people, then suddenly become “the standard” despite not being the best option. Different strokes I guess?

Have you got a build diary, I’d love to see how it turned out for you.
    I think it comes down to ease of use and many find the gun stock finish "good enough". A wipe on urethane is probably just as easy to apply.

It all depends on what you are looking for and your workshop facilities (if any). It's something you can apply inside at home and isn't that fussed about humidity, so you can use it all year round. I have to spray outside so I'm limited to the UK summer months, and this year after an initial good period, the weather has been quite poor, with lots of cloud, on/off rain and pretty humid, so my nitro spraying has been curtailed.

It does take a lot of coats to build up enough thickness to sand and polish it for a gloss finish, but it can be used with only a few coats if you want a less perfect, and more satin finish. Some people really like it for the feel it has on necks, not sticky like some gloss finishes can feel. Given a month or so, it will dry very hard, so it's worth waiting that bit longer before finishing it off if you want to go glossy.

But there certainly are lots of other finishes available, with some a lot easier to get good results in a shorter space of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Longprong7 View Post
    Thanks Fellas, bloody hell Trevor, I googled as you suggested and here's a guy building the same guitar and asking all the same questions. Wish I had seen it sooner as I have made a couple of mistakes , one being not seeing and removing a couple of glue spots. I have put about 12 coats of Tru-oil on the whole guitar as I like the natural timber look.

Cheers

Jim
    I like tru-oil. I think I've had quite a bit of success with. I find it quite relaxing. But each to their own.
    I have a build at the moment and I'm using FW wipe on poly as a change. Too early to form an opinion yet.