Thread: New parts for my Jackson JS32M guitar coming from Stewmac.

New parts for my Jackson JS32M guitar coming from Stewmac.

Hey everyone,

I just recently ordered some new parts for my Jackson JS32M guitar from Stewmac, reason being is that I want to get the guitar back into a playable state after doing some work on the electronics to install some Gibson pickups I salvaged from my old Gibson LP Studio guitar that I decided to get rid-of after I got sick and tired of constantly fighting to keep it in tune.

The two pickups I salvaged are Gibson's factory-made 480 and 490T PAF humbuckers with silver shields from what I understand, so they should be really good quality pickups, actually I think the pickups were the only good quality parts from my old LP Studio guitar that I liked, hence why I salvaged them.

I ordered the following parts from Stewmac:

* X1 Chrome Floyd Rose Special Bridge Baseplate, With Saddle Screws.

* X1 Set of 6 Chrome Floyd Rose Special String Saddles.

* X1 Chrome Floyd Rose Special Trem Arm And Socket.

* X1 Set Of 6 Chrome 6-In-Line Grover Mid-Sized Rotomatic Tuners (305 Series).

* X1 Set Of Two Chrome Floyd Rose Bridge Mounting Studs And Inserts.

* X1 Chrome R3 Special/1000 Series Locking Nut.

* X1 Set Of 3 Black Floyd Rose Noiseless Trem Springs.

* X2 Sets Of Floyd Rose Locking Nut Shims.

* X1 Set Of 6 Black Floyd Rose String-Lock Insert Blocks.

With These new parts and some good spare parts I have in a plastic bag, I will have enough parts to build a complete chrome Floyd Rose Special bridge, which I will use in my Jackson JS32M guitar, sure, I could have bought a Floyd Rose Original trem instead, but Stewmac seem to be out of them for the time-being.

All the electrical re-wiring work I did on the guitar seems to have gone-off without a hitch and everything seems to be working as it should, I've opted to keep it simple and gone with a standard master volume and tone control setup, I replaced the two stock 500k Log pots with two of the 500K Log pots that came out of my old LP Studio guitar as they were of better quality than the stock ones, the original tone cap was a 22nF and I decided to replace it with a 47nF tone cap, I think to my ears, 47nF works better with humbuckers than 22nF.

Although both of the Gibson pickups do have a coil-tap connection, I opted to configure them as standard humbuckers since I rarely used the coil-tapping when they were in my old LP Studio guitar, I may add that feature later-on though, we'll see.

I've got two spare sets of Darco electric guitar strings in my standard 42-09 gauge, next fortnight I'm going to order a D Addario 25-Set box of 42-09 gauge strings from Stewmac so I'll have plenty of spare sets of strings on hand.

So far this has been a fun restoration project, and I'm looking forward to playing my Jackson JS32M guitar again.

Here's a pic of the guitar with the Gibson pickups installed in it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jackson J32M_resized.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	39425

Once this guitar is all up and running in a playable-state, my next restoration-project for this year is going to be my BC Rich Warlock guitar, I'm planning-on ordering a new custom neck for it from BC Rich USA, they let me know via an email that they can make a new one for me, I'm also planning on replacing all the stock BC Rich pickups and wiring with a new set of Kerry King EMG 81 and 85 active pickups, which should be interesting since I've never tried active EMG pickups before, my BC Rich Warlock guitar is a "Metal" style guitar after-all and I think it deserves it, should be fun getting it to a playable state again.

Here's a pic of the BC Rich Warlock guitar:

Name:	BC Rich Warlock_resized.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	39426
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 28-02-2021 at 05:53 PM.

2. Liked by: PJSprog

My Jackson Dinky (reverse headstock) is still my favorite guitar ... although the Klein headless copy is quickly catching it.
    Excellent guitars.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I just recently ordered some new parts for my Jackson JS32M guitar from Stewmac, reason being is that I want to get the guitar back into a playable state after doing some work on the electronics to install some Gibson pickups I salvaged from my old Gibson LP Studio guitar that I decided to get rid-of after I got sick and tired of constantly fighting to keep it in tune.

The two pickups I salvaged are Gibson's factory-made 480 and 490T PAF humbuckers with silver shields from what I understand, so they should be really good quality pickups, actually I think the pickups were the only good quality parts from my old LP Studio guitar that I liked, hence why I salvaged them.

I ordered the following parts from Stewmac:

* X1 Chrome Floyd Rose Special Bridge Baseplate, With Saddle Screws.

* X1 Set of 6 Chrome Floyd Rose Special String Saddles.

* X1 Chrome Floyd Rose Special Trem Arm And Socket.

* X1 Set Of 6 Chrome 6-In-Line Grover Mid-Sized Rotomatic Tuners (305 Series).

* X1 Set Of Two Chrome Floyd Rose Bridge Mounting Studs And Inserts.

* X1 Chrome R3 Special/1000 Series Locking Nut.

* X1 Set Of 3 Black Floyd Rose Noiseless Trem Springs.

* X2 Sets Of Floyd Rose Locking Nut Shims.

* X1 Set Of 6 Black Floyd Rose String-Lock Insert Blocks.

With These new parts and some good spare parts I have in a plastic bag, I will have enough parts to build a complete chrome Floyd Rose Special bridge, which I will use in my Jackson JS32M guitar, sure, I could have bought a Floyd Rose Original trem instead, but Stewmac seem to be out of them for the time-being.

All the electrical re-wiring work I did on the guitar seems to have gone-off without a hitch and everything seems to be working as it should, I've opted to keep it simple and gone with a standard master volume and tone control setup, I replaced the two stock 500k Log pots with two of the 500K Log pots that came out of my old LP Studio guitar as they were of better quality than the stock ones, the original tone cap was a 22nF and I decided to replace it with a 47nF tone cap, I think to my ears, 47nF works better with humbuckers than 22nF.

Although both of the Gibson pickups do have a coil-tap connection, I opted to configure them as standard humbuckers since I rarely used the coil-tapping when they were in my old LP Studio guitar, I may add that feature later-on though, we'll see.

I've got two spare sets of Darco electric guitar strings in my standard 42-09 gauge, next fortnight I'm going to order a D Addario 25-Set box of 42-09 gauge strings from Stewmac so I'll have plenty of spare sets of strings on hand.

So far this has been a fun restoration project, and I'm looking forward to playing my Jackson JS32M guitar again.

Here's a pic of the guitar with the Gibson pickups installed in it:

Name:	Jackson J32M_resized.jpg 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	39425

Once this guitar is all up and running in a playable-state, my next restoration-project for this year is going to be my BC Rich Warlock guitar, I'm planning-on ordering a new custom neck for it from BC Rich USA, they let me know via an email that they can make a new one for me, I'm also planning on replacing all the stock BC Rich pickups and wiring with a new set of Kerry King EMG 81 and 85 active pickups, which should be interesting since I've never tried active EMG pickups before, my BC Rich Warlock guitar is a "Metal" style guitar after-all and I think it deserves it, should be fun getting it to a playable state again.

Here's a pic of the BC Rich Warlock guitar:

Name:	BC Rich Warlock_resized.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	39426
    Some nice work there doc, you’ll be impressed with the EMGs. They are good kit and the plug and play connectors are great. I have a Zak Wylde ZW set in my explorer and that chugs and shreds nicely!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Some nice work there doc, you’ll be impressed with the EMGs. They are good kit and the plug and play connectors are great. I have a Zak Wylde ZW set in my explorer and that chugs and shreds nicely!
    I'm seriously considering putting a Kerry King EMG 81 and 85 active pickup set in my Jackson guitar later on this year, last time I checked, Stewmac were selling the Kerry King EMG 81 and 85 set for around Au$292.00 or so, but they are currently waiting on more sets of them to come in.

One other restoration project I've got scheduled for this year is installing a new Floyd Rose trem on my PRS SE Custom 24 guitar, which is finished in a cherry red colour, here are some pics of the guitar as it is, I've already sanded the nut-shelf so it will accept an R3 Floyd Rose locking nut, the bottom seems nice and flat and at 90 degrees to the fretboard, the tape on the body of the guitar is just some blue low-tack painter's tape I put on it so I could mark-out roughly where the bridge will be positioned according to the 25 Inch ( I think ) scale-length:

Name:	PRS SE24_1_resized.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	39481

Name:	PRS SE24_2_resized.jpg 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	39482

Name:	PRS SE24_3_resized.jpg 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	39483

As with the Jackson JS32M, I'm going to be going with chrome hardware, should go great with the cherry red finish.

Here's a side-view pic of the nut-shelf on the PRS SE Custom 24:

Name:	SE24 Nut Shelf_resized.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	39484
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 02-03-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Update:

Just got a notification from DHL saying that the parts I ordered from Stewmac are due for delivery today, seeing as I only just woke-up about an hour ago, I'll have to go make myself a nice cup of coffee so I'm awake when the delivery man gets here.

Feeling pretty excited......

Update 2:

Woohoo!!!.....All the new parts I ordered just got delivered a few minutes ago, now I can finally get to it and work on my Jackson guitar.

I just had a look at the new chrome locking-nut I ordered, and did a quick test-fit to see how well it fitted the nut-shelf on the Jackson's neck, one of my concerns was that I would need to use a few of the shims I ordered to get the 1st-fret action set right, well it looks like the new chrome locking nut is going to be a virtual drop-in fit, even the mounting-screw holes seem to line-up so I'm I'm happy with that, next thing to do is build a complete new chrome Floyd Rose Special bridge using all the parts I have available.

As for the locking-nut, the new set of chrome Grover Rotomatics tuners proved to be a virtual drop-in fit for the guitar's headstock, even the mounting-screw holes lined-up perfectly, don't you just love it when parts are a drop-in fit and don't require any mods to install them?...I sure do.

Okay, after a bit of work, I've managed to get all of the new hardware installed on the guitar, and, it looks way cooler than I thought it would, the new chrome hardware really goes well with the glossy black finish on the body, the chrome of the Gibson pickups pretty much matches the chrome of the hardware, I'm very happy with the way it looks now, I'm going to do a quick photo-shoot of the guitar before I start putting strings on it and then give it a set-up, will post the pics here for you guys and etc......stay tuned!!!!

Okay, I know you guys were waiting for this, so I won't keep you in suspense:

Name:	New Parts_resized.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	39524
    The new parts I ordered from Stewmac.

Name:	New Floyd Rose Special_resized.jpg 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	39525
    The new, fully assembled Floyd Rose Special bridge.

Name:	Jackson 1_resized.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	39526
    The Jackson guitar with all it's new hardware installed, prior to putting the new strings on and the setup-work.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 04-03-2021 at 04:25 PM.

9. Liked by: PJSprog

Name:	Jackson 2_resized.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	39527
    Closeup pic of the headstock with the new Grover tuners and locking-nut installed.

Name:	Jackson 3_resized.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	39528
    Close up of the body with the new Floyd Rose Special bridge installed.

Name:	Jackson 4_resized.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	39529
    The Jackson guitar, new strings, set-up work done, and ready to rock.

11. Liked by: PJSprog