Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Body only project

Body only project

Hi all.

Quick question, thinking about another project... on the Pitbull site they have body only (tele style).

Has anyone done a project starting with one of these and then buying a fender neck from somewhere like the https://stratosphereparts.com ?

Is the bolt on neck always a standard size? What are the gotchas to look out for here..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve done the pbg strat body and made my own neck, I used a fender standard neck profile and it fit well. Only minor sanding adjustment on body and neck was needed, mainly in the corners.
    one would imagine a fender spec neck should be okay, but there’s always the chance of a Monday morning or Friday afternoon production piece.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I am doing a build the other way round. I have a pitbull neck that I am putting on a no-name fender body from eBay. Fit is fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I am doing a build the other way round. I have a pitbull neck that I am putting on a no-name fender body from eBay. Fit is fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    I've done it both ways also. A Pitbull neck fitted quite well in a Squier Tele body.
    Pitbull STA neck fitted quite well into 2 non-Fender spec bodies.

Looking at that site makes me think it's aptly titled.
    Once you factor in U.S. exchange rate, and the the shipping.

cheers, Mark.

I started thinking along the same lines as you PShilling, and ended up just buying a well worn 2009 Mexican Standard Fender Tele on gumtree for less than I could land a neck alone into Aus. I called around a whole bunch of guitar shops up and down the east coast trying to get a good lead on new or used Fender or AllParts necks, and they all pointed me to Stratosphere.

There doesn't seem to be much of a market place for just necks here in Aus - check out the classifieds and see what you can land as a complete guitar for a refinish project.... I've got this Candy Apple red -> Aztec gold hanging in my closet hardening at the moment! Plus the benefit that it has picked guard, control plate, pickup etc (I ordered a new bridge, pots, orange drop cap and neck plate for it though)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8107.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	378.6 KB 
ID:	39320

6. Liked by: PShilling

Right... good thinking! Gumtree etc... full of parts that just happen to be whole guitars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I avoid the stratosphere just because of their ridiculous international shipping prices. Great selection of parts, but just not economically feasible.

HereIsJT's suggestion is one I would consider with one exception, I hunt for used Squiers. If you know what to look for there are older models and certain years that were made to Fender dimensions. Also you can pick up a used Squier Bullet cheap as chips (again older models tend to be better quality and some are full thickness bodies). I personally think the older Bullet necks are better than most no-name aftermarket necks out there. The fretwire material is probably the biggest shortcoming, but certainly serviceable and easily replaced if/when needed.

It's good to hear from others that there is compatibility between the PBG neck pockets and genuine Fender necks. I would have been very sceptical based on my own experience of combining genuine and non-licenced parts manufactures.

Look forward to seeing which way you go and what your build winds up being!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Looking at that site makes me think it's aptly titled.
    Once you factor in U.S. exchange rate, and the the shipping.
    Wow! I had not looked at their prices. I should say that the Pitbull bass neck fit well on the $35 body I bought on ebay.

The price on the Stratosphere is not bad for a licensed product (not factoring in shipping to AUS), but it seems like a lot. The last neck I purchased was under $40 US on ebay. It was a finished Kmise neck that required a bit of work on the frets, but it was a good shape and is a good player, and has a real rosewood fingerboard (real wood anyway...not sure it's real rosewood, but it looks nice...

Can't you get a decent Chinese neck there?

Have you had a look at Guitar Aust?

https://www.guitaraust.com.au/neck/n....html?___SID=U

Quote Originally Posted by jonwhitear View Post
    Have you had a look at Guitar Aust?

https://www.guitaraust.com.au/neck/n....html?___SID=U
    Those are definitely closer to my price range.
    However you get a better bargain here under your nose
    https://www.pitbullguitars.com/guitar-necks/

I've gotten a neck off e-bay but it was a 24" mustang style which are difficult to get for a reasonable price.
    Not the greatest, but I pulled the frets and re-configured the headstock to suit my preference.

cheers, Mark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast