Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Scratch Dreaming

Scratch Dreaming

Took a reccie to the Fine Timber Company (fm. the Timber Bloke), and couldn't leave this bookmatched she-oak pair behind. They're about 12mm thick, 200mm wide at narrowest point, and 500mm long. So plenty to work with.

Now thinking about what the bottom to this top will be, but will likely be limited in single piece options if I want to compensate for the bookmatched top.

Nice. Love the look of sheok.

The back of the body could be in strips - as long as there is no join in the middle where the bookmark join will be.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

3. Liked by: dozymuppet

Yep, that's an option. Probably requires help with the joining, but that could very well be where I end up.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

She-oak or silky oak? Looks kinda like a couple bits o have here sold as silky for a project. Not doubting yours at all - more wondering if my info is right...

Quote Originally Posted by dozymuppet View Post
    Took a reccie to the Fine Timber Company (fm. the Timber Bloke), and couldn't leave this bookmatched she-oak pair behind. They're about 12mm thick, 200mm wide at narrowest point, and 500mm long. So plenty to work with.

Now thinking about what the bottom to this top will be, but will likely be limited in single piece options if I want to compensate for the bookmatched top.
    If the jointing on the back is true and tight, and the jointing on the drop top is good and tight, and the bond betwixt top and base is true and tight, you shouldn’t have an issue. If it’s a worry, dowel the base to be absolutely sure, maybe use an epoxy for the top to base join so you aren’t introducing too much moisture on the glue up.

That said there are a number of timber merchants that can do you wide short cuts of plantation mahogany etc.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Hmm, the dowel approach might be a good idea. Might be able to get a bookmatched base if I'm lucky, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco381 View Post
    She-oak or silky oak? Looks kinda like a couple bits o have here sold as silky for a project. Not doubting yours at all - more wondering if my info is right...
    Can't say I'm an expert, but they had a bunch of she-oak in the shop, and it looked related. My bits have S/O scrawled on them, and when I said I was after "that cheeky she-oak pair", the guy didn't correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by dozymuppet View Post
    Hmm, the dowel approach might be a good idea. Might be able to get a bookmatched base if I'm lucky, too.

From memory, the Fine Timber Bloke can probably find you a 50 or 60mm x 400mm and split that for you. Might cost you a little.
    there is also an Australian wood sellers page on FBook that comes up with some great stuff.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Ooh, that's good to know.

Yeah, the FTB said a bunch of things, but I didn't really know what I wanted. I think I'll send him an email of what I'm after now that I've had a think about it, and see if I have better luck.

Here's the "inside" of the pair. Pretty happy with that.

12. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast