Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Build #1 - GR-1SF

Well sheeeeeit. Put a coat of clear on last night and went to have a look this morning and a bug the size of a small tank has landed on the front (even tho it is standing upright) and tracked about 2 inches across the body, and got away to strike another day. Back to sanding!!! Did not swear at all..... much!

Ooooh snotballs.....that’s gotta grind your gears. Tough break mate, it was looking pretty special there.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Yep, been there!

I've had sand out small pairs "wings" a couple of times. Why do the little bastages always land upside down????

The joys of having outdoor facilities!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Righto ..... some advice requested - Given the P.I.T.A factor of the wiring and how hard it looks to be to get it right once (on the GR1-SF) let alone pulling it out and back in again to fit new pick ups - Should I be looking at upgrading them so i only have to hopefully do it the once??? If so are there any recommendations? Not looking to blow the neighbors eardrums, just some nice light playing at home. And not looking to blow the bank either? Cheers in anticipation.

It's hard to go passed Toneriders for value for money (and PBG has the best prices in AUS). I'm not a huge HB fan but I have owned a few different Tonerider HB's and like them a lot.

Also, Realtone has their own brand of HB's for $98 a set. Vintage output PAF-style. They only come with aged chrome covers, but I've heard they sound good. I have not heard them with my own ears though.

"Dirty O' PAF" link.

As for PITA of hollow body installation, it's possible to make way less of a PITA if you use surgical (or silicone) tubing on the pots and make the wiring harness to just the right length (and stiff wire if you can).

Thanks for that. Will have a look tonight. I am ready to go on the wiring. Harness made up and tubing ready. Just don’t know whether to try the stock ones or bite the bullet and change to the upgrade from the start. Still a little concerned about a buzzing I have when I plug the harness in to test that goes when I turn down master volume or tone. Maybe nothing I can do about that as I can’t shield the hollow body.

Yeah, Tonerider are good value.
    Last edited by Cliff Rogers; 15-03-2021 at 07:55 PM.
    Cliff

Still a little concerned about a buzzing I have when I plug the harness in to test that goes when I turn down master volume or tone. Maybe nothing I can do about that as I can’t shield the hollow body.
    It sounds likely to be a ground problem.
    Are you grounding the harness in anyway when testing it? Just contact with your body should do it.
    Sheilding won't fix earth/ground noise. Sheilding is about RF.

If you like to buy Australian made hand wound, look at Mr. Fabulous and Mick Brierley pickups.
    I think they'd go beyond his budget: "And not looking to blow the bank either"

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    It sounds likely to be a ground problem.
    Are you grounding the harness in anyway when testing it? Just contact with your body should do it."
    I will give that a go tomorrow. I was touching the tone and volume controls when testing but probably not anything behind the template??

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco381 View Post
    I will give that a go tomorrow. I was touching the tone and volume controls when testing but probably not anything behind the template??
    If you have a multimeter, do a continuity check through all your ground connections. Could be just a cold solder joint. Can't always see those buggers. Sometimes worth just re-flowing them to be safe.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast