I couldn't help myself this year, I joined the GBBO for 2021. I'm most definitely not skilled enough to be a true contender, but it looks like a lot of fun. Also, a portion of the entrance fee goes to assist aspiring builders/luthiers who don't have the means to get materials or training, which is a cool cause. I also happen to have a project that should be a great challenge for this competition.

I got the kit a few months ago as a second/special, with no idea what I was going to use it for. I started working on ideas for it, and then the GBBO was announced, and I wanted to go really crazy with it. Just about everything with this bass it outside my norm, but there's no time like a competition to try out your wackiest ideas. Here's the plan so far:

-Hand paint body using the materials below. If all goes to plan, the body should not only be "the pinkest pink", but it should glow in the dark a kind of peach color
-Upgrade the pickups to Dragonfire Phat J Bass pickups
-Swap standard bridge with piezo style bridge pickup
-Install preamp to increase piezo output
-Change control panel to 4 250k CTS pots and re-route output jack (still deciding on location)
-The most complicated idea I have, if even possible, is to hard wire a small speaker into the bass. I was inspired by a video I saw of a guitar with a built in speaker and MIDI drum machine so it was it's own small band. I wasn't as drawn to the MIDI board as to the speaker, so I'll go for it if the measurements line up

All in all, it's a lot of things I've never tried before, but should be a lot of fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210219_164654822.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	39276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210219_164801123.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	39277