Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The bargain bin ES-5

The bargain bin ES-5

I’ve no idea why I bought this, but I did. I had no plan, other than the fact I liked the look of it.

The plan is to emulate one of these:

A 30’s/40’s era Gibson L4, the Gibbos were done in a blonde natural and the usual flavours of burst. I am going to leave this one as a red head natural, with the exception of the paint line detail from the headstock.

The G company also did varying levels of ornamentation, but all I am going to do extra is add binding to the fretboard edge.

Pick guard, bridge and tailpiece are going to be crafted from spotted gum (Benedetto style, unless it doesn’t work, at which point it will become a trapeze).

However there are issues.

There is a little spot of factory sand through on each side of the waist. They are so inconsequential that they don’t rate a photo. But I know they are there.
    The neck socket was loose and rough but I have already fixed this with judicious knife work, sanding and veneer fill.

The one that is causing me most angst is the sound post/bridge reinforcement.

You can see him tucked away down there in the belly of the box, snug and well glued.
    What I have discovered in marking out the scale length and cantering things up, is that this sound post appears to be in the wrong place.

As you can see from the photo above, the tape line represents the 24.75” scale length.

The preceding two photos show me measuring back to the front edge of the block from the neck socket and establishing the general vicinity of the front of the block.

I had to do a similar measurement back of the block, viewing the location of the rule end to the back edge of the reinforcing block through the f hole on a really flat angle. Needless to say That due to obstructed view, light angles and only two hands the block width is at best an estimate as illustrated below:

The tape line represents a theoretical midpoint of the bridge, more or less. Given that the bridge base is only about 1/2” wide the bridge assembly is going to be sat at least an inch away from the reinforcing block intended to support the load it will take.

The L4/L5’s of the era used longitudinal ribs down the length of the top to help bear the string tension. They were also solid carved tops not ply, which may have helped mitigate things.

I am considering if it is going to be prudent to try and reposition this block, or if is big enough (it’s about 3” wide and 1 1/8” deep) that is presence will provide adequate support where it is.

What does the collective reckon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I remember this one. I liked the look of it too. Obviously not as much as you though. (else this would be my thread).

All the sins are concealed within the body, so why not just glue some extra wood to it?

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    I remember this one. I liked the look of it too. Obviously not as much as you though. (else this would be my thread).

All the sins are concealed within the body, so why not just glue some extra wood to it?

cheers, Mark.
    There is that, will grant you, but the key being with added wood, I’d need to get it behind the existing post and bearer, and I’d likely still have to get some form of support post under it.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2121 View Post
    Mark's solution would be my approach as well.
    It would more support to the top.
    The question is - what would Igor do?

What number is this one in the workshop?
    Lets not contemplate what madness Igor would counsel. That way lies stripped binding, the rear removed and the entire post disposed of in favour of replicating the original Gibbo reinforcement for authenticity. Not prepared to go that far.

What number? It’s currently the same as fingers. 13.
    FrankenLab

4. Liked by: OliSam

Hey all.
    I'm only a newbie to guitar kits but just wondering if using dowels. Drill a hole for a decent diameter dowel the the height of the body and glue. Will this give enough support? Hopefully any cover up will be hidden.
    Last edited by Twodogies; 19-02-2021 at 01:59 PM.
    If it aint broken...break it and build something better

I absolutely have to stop listening to Igor.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    FrankenLab

Woah... I guess he really didn't leave you with much choice.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Ah, so this one found it’s way into your Lab.
    Here’s an idea, why don’t you rip the back off it and do it again. Hahaha, wouldn’t that be a laugh......oh! It was Igor, right?

Edit: thanks for posting the photos and giving us a good picture of it’s guts. Do you plan to do anything else while you have it apart? Body Piezo placement or anything like that? Would be easier at this stage I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Ah, so this one found it’s way into your Lab.
    Here’s an idea, why don’t you rip the back off it and do it again. Hahaha, wouldn’t that be a laugh......oh! It was Igor, right?
    Laugh we nearly did. Igor coughed up a lung. It’s okay though, it was a spare.

I realise that most folk are probably questioning the Lab sanity here, but I assure you all there is a very cunning plan at work here. Somewhere. Just need to find where Igor filed it. Might be behind the couch again.
    FrankenLab

Don’t forget to have a close look at your neck angle if you are going down the floating bridge path.

You're a braver man than I, Frankie!

I'll stick to my solid bodies...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast