Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: TL-1HA first build

I can't say for sure about the mixing of the stain & grain filler, but gut feeling is there could be an issue with water & oil.

I'll be interested to see it sanded back. One observation though, is that is the tightest looking grain I've seen for Ash so you may not get a very strong contrast between the grain and non-grain fibres. You'll know better once it's sanded.

Watching with interest (still ).
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

2. Liked by: Groovyman32

Nice work mate, I see you're much more refined in your approach and execution then I am/was!
    My build is here
    Interestingly I recently made a les paul junior (not a kit - from an old door) and went with a string through which I didn't do on my TL-1HA, and although my ferrules are not aligned perfectly I'm not too concerned as it will have no impact other than aesthetics.
    Keen to see yours once finished!

4. Liked by: Groovyman32

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I can't say for sure about the mixing of the stain & grain filler, but gut feeling is there could be an issue with water & oil.

I'll be interested to see it sanded back. One observation though, is that is the tightest looking grain I've seen for Ash so you may not get a very strong contrast between the grain and non-grain fibres. You'll know better once it's sanded.

Watching with interest (still ).
    Thanks - Initially it looks like it mixed okay. But after a while the filler was settling to the bottom.

If it looks like a dogs dinner I'll sand it all the way back and get some acrylic filler.
    Last edited by Groovyman32; 03-03-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
    Nice work mate, I see you're much more refined in your approach and execution then I am/was!
    My build is here
    Interestingly I recently made a les paul junior (not a kit - from an old door) and went with a string through which I didn't do on my TL-1HA, and although my ferrules are not aligned perfectly I'm not too concerned as it will have no impact other than aesthetics.
    Keen to see yours once finished!
    Thanks RB - I read your diary cover to cover whilst waiting for my kit to be delivered - nice job! Have you done any upgrades to the hardware?

I've also got some black pup rings as the white one look a bit odd. But I noticed that the pup routes look too big to actually screw them the body. I think in the screw holes will be too close the edge for comfort and in one case I think it misses the body entirely. I do like the look of the rings but without also looks good too.
    Last edited by Groovyman32; 03-03-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Hi mate I actually never fitted the black rings as the pups sat niceley right in the pickguard and I loved that look way better. The rings would be necessary if you needed to raised the pup height, but on this style guitar it's just not necessary.
    I've since sold that guitar, and now make them from scratch just ordering the parts from various places.
    I was going to do a pitbull double cutaway junior but wasn't sold on the body shape. So made my own. Going to make a baretta style next.
    Last edited by RagingBull; 04-03-2021 at 08:10 AM.

8. Liked by: Groovyman32

Yesterday I sanded back the grain filler - it looked okay, if a little pale.

In one area I over did it and sanded right back to wood - so rather than fix it I sanded the whole lot back.

Today, I raided my wife's art box for some black oil paint. I think that mixed with the grain filler has given a much better result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8281.JPEG 
Views:	132 
Size:	840.8 KB 
ID:	39530 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8282.JPEG 
Views:	128 
Size:	886.6 KB 
ID:	39531

You can see obvious differences in the patterns from each of the pieces used for the body. But I'm not so worried about that.

I think I'll sand it back by hand this time so I can be controlled.
    Last edited by Groovyman32; 05-03-2021 at 02:41 PM.

11. Liked by: Groovyman32

Hey bud, im doing what youve done, replacing the fret dots from black to white pearl, thats because im staining my neck, fretboard and all to a darker colour. Thanks for a good read and some pre tried advice.
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

13. Liked by: Groovyman32

Quote Originally Posted by nitroburner1000 View Post
    Hey bud, im doing what youve done, replacing the fret dots from black to white pearl, thats because im staining my neck, fretboard and all to a darker colour. Thanks for a good read and some pre tried advice.
    No worries - good luck - I'm excited to see your results!

This evening was back to sanding... again - this time to remove the excess grain filler. I hate sanding the sides - I just can't seem to keep it scratch free. This time I went up through the grits to P600 to try and descratch.

I got to the point where I was relatively happy (read bored of sanding) so I thought I'd see what would happen if I applied a little black stain to the sides.

Before I knew it, I'd done this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8286.JPEG 
Views:	235 
Size:	729.0 KB 
ID:	39544 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8287.JPEG 
Views:	248 
Size:	669.5 KB 
ID:	39545
    I found this to be a really cathatic process. I've been watching a lot of Big D Guitars on YT for technique and inspiration. In my head I could hear his voice... "now I'm gonna come back with a little yellow"...

Aaanywaaay, I'm quite pleased with the result - it looks just how I'd imagined it. But I'm concious that adding the top coats will darken it a ton. So I think I should lighten the colour a little with wirewool perhaps? Is this the best thing to use?

I might just ligthen the centre as I really want the black to stay a deep black...
    Last edited by Groovyman32; 06-03-2021 at 03:27 AM.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast