Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
You can make your own.....I used this mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbe5L9UyyVQ

I do 60 percent boiled linseed oil, 30 percent oil based polyurethane, 10 percent turps. I made 200 mil....120 ml linseed....60 ml poly....20 ml turps....shake. Was very thin...leave top off container for 3 hours and thickened up nicely.
Nice! About the same cure time as the OG truoil?

I tried home-brew Tru Oil a few years ago but was not happy with the results. The recipe I used was the commonly posted 1/3 each of BLO/Oil based Poly/Turps.

After my initial dissatisfaction with equal parts mix, I played around with altering ratios but still didn't achieve an equal performance to genuine Tru Oil. I did write down my mixtures but have since pitched them. However I'm pretty sure I did not go as high a 60% concentration of BLO though.

FWIW, what I experienced with my DIYTO () was the drying time was longer, and the build-up was slower compared to the real deal stuff. I even tried adding a small amount of naptha to act a drying agent. No improvement.

I did side-by-side tests using: DIYTO and DIY Wipe-on Poly and Tru Oil. The DIY Wipe-on Poly and Tru Oil were pretty much equal in performance, however the TO provides that slight amber tint from the Linseed Oil.
After that, my home-brew wipe-on poly became my go to for ecomonically friendly finish material.

Given Boudreau's recipe, I may have to revisit it though. I still have plenty of all three ingredients in the shop!
Thanks Ozzbike.