Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My First Scratch Build

My First Scratch Build

Hi all

Last year I applied to join a Men's Shed because my access to tools was much more limited after moving from 4 bedroom on a 1/4 acre block with a small work space under the house, to a 2 bedroom villa with higher density neighbours to deal with.

Due to Covid restrictions I wasn't able to fulfil the requirements to complete the joining process till now. As it turns out, one of the guys there makes guitars, and I have been instructed that I must make scratch built instruments in future

OK I says. Since the kit for Mean Gene is on a slow boat from China, and I'm still waiting for my pups for Dora to leave Frankfurt, I figured I'd crack on. And here it is! the completed bass... Bomber!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MDF_Unicorn.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	39152

Isn't it awesome? It sounds realy kewl. Shame I can't enter it in to the GOTM. For some reason, I seem to be the only one that can hear it. I suspect I'll be asked to make another.......I have a feeling he will argue that MDF isn't a tone wood......

I saw what you did there! I have an MDF Jazzmaster underway at the moment!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I saw what you did there! I have an MDF Jazzmaster underway at the moment!
    Kewlies! I think we should start a movement promoting MDF as a tonewood.... I mean it's soo much easier to deal with than mahogany or maple, and you don't have issues with tear out when you machine it! I'm still having a hard time finding an MDF truss rod........

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Heh, when I did my flying V it used an MDF Fascia, did the same thing on the recent white offset. I just refer to it as 'Reverbanite'.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Comes in handy as a cheap way to mock up a custom pick-guard before committing it to acrylic.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Comes in handy as a cheap way to mock up a custom pick-guard before committing it to acrylic.
    Acrylic as a tone wood? AWESOME!!!!!

Bugger! Seems I've run into a snag with MDF as tone wood. Aside from not being able to convince him that MDF was a legitimate tone wood, apparently you aren't allowed to use MDF in the shed. Something about the glue that binds the fibres being carcinogenic apparently .......I dunno, as far as I can tell, *everything* causes cancer!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Yep, got to take care when cutting MDF.
    Erm, I think ya kinda gotta be careful when cutting *any* material!

(I hear it's very important to line up the v made from thumb and forefinger with the blade of the band saw when pushing timber into the blade........)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Erm, I think ya kinda gotta be careful when cutting *any* material!

(I hear it's very important to line up the v made from thumb and forefinger with the blade of the band saw when pushing timber into the blade........)
    Only if you have a spare thumb or a suitably skilled Igor close by.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast