Thread: Final setup nut question

Final setup nut question

I have an Es5v kit that is almost done.

I have the bridge setup, intonation worked out ok.

The nut however feels really high. Fretting the first 1 or 2 frets feels really uncomfortable.

Is it common that you need to shave some off the bottom when they come with the kit?

How do you know how thin to go? Any rules ??

Also another observation, I’ve had strings on for about 4 weeks at tension. The guitar is settling down but still is not staying in tune very well. It’s getting better... just wondering how long I take here before worrying I’ve done something incorrectly?

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

I don't know about others, but generally, if you have already glued in the nut, you adjust the nut by filing the string slots. Again, I don't know about others, but I adjust this by fingering the 3rd fret and seeing what the gap between the string at the nut and the 1st and 2nd frets are. It should be just off the frets. When filing the slots, you might want to put some tape on the headstock to protect it, because you should file at an angle similar to the angle of the strings from the nut to the tuners.

As for keeping in tune. it's usual practice to stretch the strings by gently pulling up on the strings before you go to full tension. Others here may have different ideas. pay attention to them all and decide what you wanna do .

3. Liked by: PShilling

Thanks for your thoughts. I hadn’t glued it... it was attached already to the neck in the kit.

Hi PShilling.
    I found on my FVB-4 kit that the strings on the nut were really high. I removed the nut and sanded down the base rather than filing down the string slots (since I don't have slot files yet). I did need to file down one slot as it was a lot higher than the others.

To check for the appropriate height: I use a small straight edge (metal ruler) and rest it between a string slot and the second fret so that the heights above the first fret are about:
    0.10 mm for G
    0.15 mm for D
    0.20 for A
    & 0.25 for E.
    Similar values can be found online. Another member (cannot remember who) said they put the string slots to the same height as the frets! I'm sure there are other methods out there. I'm not sure which is best.

I did a similar thing for my FBM-1, of course with different heights for a 6 string.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Thanks Trevor

Appreciate the detail too.

I think I’ll do that. Remove it and reduce the whole thing. Also don’t have files !

Peter

Not having nut files, Trevor's method is probably the easiest (and cheapest!).

Just be sure to keep the nut flat and square when you're sanding so you don't get an angle on the bottom. Put the sandpaper on a good stable, flat surface and move the nut along the paper. Don't try and sand it in your hands IYKWIM. You may want to tape the sandpaper down to hold it steady, but that's up to you.

It's not a bad idea to mark the nut so you can track your progress.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

8. Liked by: PShilling