Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hofner wiring......[emoji848]

Hofner wiring......

Anyone have any knowledge about wiring a hofner control plate with a master volume knob, master tone knob, treble switch bridge p.u. on/off, bass switch for neck p.u., rhythm switch for series/parallel between both pickups..... will it work? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gunut75 View Post
    Anyone have any knowledge about wiring a hofner control plate with a master volume knob, master tone knob, treble switch bridge p.u. on/off, bass switch for neck p.u., rhythm switch for series/parallel between both pickups..... will it work? Thanks.

This is the original wiring for a 500/1, which looks pretty close to what you want. Hope this helps!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211230-201503.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	42222

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

Thank you, but not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to change one of the pots to a master tone. The other will be a master volume that effects both pickups. After that, just switch them on/off individually with the switches. I don't know if its possible to run both humbuckers in series or not....... that's what I'm wondering about the third switch..... I don't want to control the tone with resistors and switches.

Thank you, but not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to change one of the pots to a master tone. The other will be a master volume that effects both pickups. After that, just switch them on/off individually with the switches. I don't know if its possible to run both humbuckers in series or not....... that's what I'm wondering about the third switch..... I don't want to control the tone with resistors and switches.

The master tone/master volume should not be hard. Easy enough to have a switch to turn each pickup on and off. I think that's actually the way the tone plate comes pre-wired.

Wiring for master tone master volume is also fairly easy.

The series/parallel switch is a little bit trickier. I'm not quite sure how to do that with just one DPTP switch (although someone here might know how to do it). I know you can do a coil cut for two pickups with one DPDT switch, which would give you humbucking and single coil modes.

You might need to replace the pre-wired control plate that comes with the kit. I think it has all of the controls on a circuit board IIRC. One of the switches would need to be DPDT even to wire the coil cut.

Series/parallel swtch could be done with a micro switch that is 3PDT or 4PDT,,, but I don't know if you can get them in the Hoffner sliding switch type...

I looked at it, and it is a circuit board. Maybe simplify it a bit. Wire it like a regular pair of humbuckers. Make a custom control plate. Not even worry about the series/parallel thing. Volume/ tone/blend......or volume/volume/tone.

Can you send a pic of the control plate back. Slide DPDT switches are not hard to get...

It's not too bad. I wouldn't mind a good, clean, modern set-up. Quality hardware, etc. I'm not worried about cosmetic authenticity. Custom, I suppose. I can make a new plate for it, no problem there. Hmmmmmm.

There's the resistor for the rhythm switch. Think I'll simplify this a bit. Open the sound gates a bit.

It's not too bad. I wouldn't mind a good, clean, modern set-up. Quality hardware, etc. I'm not worried about cosmetic authenticity. Custom, I suppose. I can make a new plate for it, no problem there. Hmmmmmm.

The kit board is a bit upside down from the original (see pic). If you wanted to, you could keep the control panel, and make a plate out of pickguard material or metal (like the original), to mount the switches and the pots. I think the whole assembly mounts to the control plate just using the nuts from the pots. FWIW that would preserve the classic aesthetic, but allow you to upgrade the components.

If you decide you just want to use knobs, cutting a new control plate is probably better. Setting it up with jazz bass wiring (either with VVT or VBT) would also allow you to use push pull pots to do the series parallel wiring with the humbuckers if you mentioned.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload_2016-9-28_19-7-13.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	42226

Exactly! 11:47 here. Happy New Year! Gonna pop a beer for this one!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast