Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help wiring the IB-4

Quote Originally Posted by bast902 View Post
    Now, I know very little about all of this, and my current assumption is that the capacitor is there to ground out excess energy from any sort of power surge to keep from frying the electronics. If so, what is the difference in how they are placed in these two diagrams? And if my assumption is incorrect, what is actually going on here, circuit-wise?
    Shouldn't make a difference, but the capacitor is there to shunt the higher frequency to ground. The pot is wired to represent a variable resistor or resistance which forms a RC network therefore making the HF cut somewhat sweepable. With that said the electronics that comes with the IB -4, IB-5 is junk in my opinion. The pup output is weak and the tone control does almost nothing. I am in the process of replacing all that and will update if I create something better than what is offered.

People have fitted the inexpensive Belcat active 2-band EQ in the IB 4 and 5 models before, which has helped considerably. It was quite popular two or three years back. You get a bend control, master volume and active (boost and cut) treble and bass EQ. It looks to be available under many different brand names now.

Fitting this basic preamp also increases the output to a useable level as the pickups do have a reputation for being quite weak. It's strange that they are, as almost all of the other kit pickups are on the hot (or at least the warm) side.

I ordered a set of Chinese (like most things) soapbars that is said to have hot output. Trying keep it passive as well.
    Last edited by Druman Base; 01-02-2022 at 11:54 AM.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EQ251EI...roduct_details

Night and day difference. Hot output and sounds great especially with these flat wound strings. The EMG 40HZ diagram can be used with these pickups.
    Last edited by Druman Base; 01-02-2022 at 08:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2