Thread: floyd rose saddle shim

floyd rose saddle shim

i'm finishing up my build, and i see the strings are not perfectly on the radius - specificaly the D string
    when i look ate the saddles i can see this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83c89e62-4b50-439d-aa37-9b4f339fca63.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	363.0 KB 
ID:	39127

the difference in height is pretty big
    is this normal?
    it looks as though only the back of the saddle is raised in the other strings
    will a shim be enough?

thanks!

just coming back to say i solved this using copper shielding tape and a lot of careful cutting.
    the high saddle was 1.2mm taller (the metal itself) than the saddle next to it.
    i think this might be an error on the manufacturing side of things on on the QC

Hi Arie.
    Glad to hear you got it sorted. I would say you're right about a QC issue as a FR's (and licensed ones) saddles should be the same height (thickness). Just one more thing I dislike about working with them, but anyway...
    You can buy shim sets for them but they're over 25 bucks for a set of 12.

In your case with one saddle being higher than the rest, I would have considered lowering the high saddle by filing the bottom instead of raising the others to match.
    You didn't say whether you created a radius with the copper shielding tape, and I know that wouldn't solve the radius issue, but lowering the high one would give you a level start (sorry for the pun) and reduce the amount of tape or shim material under the saddles required to achieve a radius. 1.2mm is a lot of copper tape IMO.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

i thought about reducing saddle height, but I think the problem is different:
    i think the saddles were made to give a 12" radius, but one saddle was the wrong (short) one
    after shimming it the radius is good
    it was about 20 layers, and drilling it was pretty annoying

Ahhh yes, sorry.
    My eyes immediately went to the G saddle, thinking it was too high! (even though you did mention the D saddle)

Never mind me... carry on!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

well, I have to redo the shim
    the copper is too soft and the saddle slides forward all the time
    (I have a way to do it at work, luckily)