Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Lyn #20 - The Lescaster

Thanks Simon. I thought about going sunburst, but I have a few sunbursts now and wanted to try something a bit different. I'm going to try something I haven't done before so it could quite easily be a bit of a disaster so stain and clear coat is still a 2nd option.

rob

Lol, Actually BD I HAVE bought some blue paint for it! But not so sure of the significance of Pelham blue?

I was in one of those small suburban hardware shops and asked the guy if he had any blue rattle cans and he said "only this one". So that's what I walked out with.

Have you noticed once again my total lack of planning with this guitar? I'm making this up as I go and have no idea how things are going to turn out.

Living life on the edge. lol.

rob

Wow, must have been channeling you again mate.

Pelham Blue is a classic blue choice for guitars over time.

It's the 50s/60s (and onwards) Gibson equivalent of Fender's Lake Placid Blue.

Thanks BD and Simon, learnt something new today. And no, that's not what I bought.

Finished the painting. Didn’t quite turn out as planned. It wasn’t a shade of blue I particularly liked….Sky Blue! So, as finishing options a) and b) didn’t work it was on to option c).

I didn’t want a relic guitar but I was hoping for the appearance of a guitar made from re-claimed wood. But I’ve somehow ended up with something between the two.

This project has been poorly planned (or more correctly, unplanned) from the start so I am going to keep it as is for now until I have finished. Then make the decision as to whether its worth sanding back and starting again. But its no big deal, as I’ve often stated, my guitars are built to be played and appearance is only of secondary consideration.

I think I may have used the wrong grade of sandpaper when sanding back the paint!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2540_1500.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	856.8 KB 
ID:	40221

Name:	IMG_2541_1500.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	834.4 KB 
ID:	40222

I didn't want to waste money on a pickguard blank so decided to hack into a white Tele guard I had laying around from a previous build. I tried to “age” the white, but may have gone a bit heavy handed with the stain, but it will do.

Name:	IMG_2537_1500.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	618.9 KB 
ID:	40223

A quick fit to see how she will look. The guard is still rough and needs to be shaped properly and the neck pickup is now going to be a P90. But this gave me a general idea of how she will look. And the Jury is still out on that one!

Name:	IMG_2539_1500.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	857.6 KB 
ID:	40224

That’s all for now. Nearing the finish line.

Cheers guys
    rob

I rekon it looks great @robin - reminds me of the faded denim type finishes

Very cool robin. I'm liking it!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

The holy grail is unique, while still being cool. Often the product of a happy accident ;-) Not the easiest thing in the world to come up with a new take on a Tele. I think you've done it!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast