Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyn #20 - The Lescaster

@Frankie
    Unfortunately Irwinocrates will only get one mention in my epitaph. Although I did find him very useful.

@Cliff
    Thanks Cliff, my obsession doesn't seem half as bad now.

Thanks BakersD

5. Liked by: Bakersdozen

Just a quick update today.

I managed to get a mock build done to make sure I’m still heading in the right direction. The neck pickup location was a bit of a compromise as it is does not match the position of either the neck pickup on a Tele or the middle pickup on a Strat. At this stage I am not overly concerned as fundamental harmonics only apply to open strings, right?. I HOPE! Lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2500_1500.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	607.1 KB 
ID:	39412

Still a bit of work to be done on the body. Final shape is OK but I need to work on access to the higher frets, the transition between the neck and body and do some comfort cuts. Unfortunately belly and forearm cuts are out of the question because of the chamber, which probably only leaves a “lap” cut. But I will have to be careful not to get too close to the control cavity when doing that one.

Still undecided on a final finish. I will stain first and then decide whether or not to paint. If I go with a stain I will probably not use a pickguard, however if I decide to paint I will fashion a Tele-esque guard out of a standard T-kit one I have handy.

Cheers guys
    rob

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    “I’m not sure but I think some ancient Greek philosopher once said “You can never have too many clamps”. But if he didn’t, he should have.”
    That is commonly attributed to Irwinocrates though many believe it may have been an earlier mentor Besseyokoulos.

“Then finally the front of the guitar (Layer 3). The part that hides all my crappy workmanship”
    There is a school of thought that says “Out of sight, out of mind”
    if’n they can’t sees it, then t’aint thur!
    And a lick of paint covers all sins...🤫
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    And a lick of paint covers all sins...狼
    Hopefully I will have enough paint. lol.

Another quickie.

Before I go too far down the sanding route I thought I had better get the neck pocket/heel problem sorted.

I contoured the neck pocket for better access to the 24th fret and also reshaped the heel of the neck a tad to make it a bit more aesthetically palatable.

This shows the reshaped neck pocket. I could have positioned the screws a bit better, but I had drilled them before actually deciding how I was going to reshape the pocket. Planning 101 – FAIL!!

Name:	IMG_2511_1500.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	431.2 KB 
ID:	39459

These two shots show the reshaped neck heel and the fit into the pocket. This is still in the rough state but I feel that I can probably live with it once I clean it up a bit and add filler here and there.

Name:	IMG_2505_1500.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	489.4 KB 
ID:	39460 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2506_1500.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	479.8 KB 
ID:	39461

As O’Reilly often said “a lick of paint, a lick of paint”. Those old enough to remember Fawlty Towers will get it. (Thanks Fretty for reminding me of those classic shows.)

That's it for now, lots of shaping and sanding to be done before the next update.

Cheers guys
    rob

10. Liked by: OliSam

Finally able to get back to the guitar. I had to have a break as I stuffed up the string-through ferrule holes. Not sure what happened as I have done this several times already with hand tools and have been quite pleased with the results but for some reason this time it just went wacko!

I had 2 options, a) recess out the dodgy ferrule holes and replace with a piece of wood or b) buy one of those “string through ferrule block” thingies. At the time I had decided to stain the guitar so I opted for the ferrule block. I would have loved a solid brass one but budget (yada, yada, yada) meant a cheap chrome Chinese one instead.

Name:	IMG_2517_1500.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	398.3 KB 
ID:	40095
    It pains me to post this photo, but it is what it is. Ugly

Name:	IMG_2519_1500.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	428.1 KB 
ID:	40096
    Out with the chisels and the ferrule block is in place

Name:	IMG_2516_1500.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	452.8 KB 
ID:	40097
    I also drilled the hole for the output jack.

I have also discovered, after a mock build, that the action will be too high.

I have 2 options again (sigh) a) shim the neck pocket or b) shave a mm or 2 off the top of the guitar. I have spent a fair bit of time shaping the pocket and the neck and a shim would would mean more work so I have decided to plane a couple of mm of the top of the guitar. Haven’t used a plane before, what could possibly go wrong?

But at least I am back into it, something for which my sanity is very grateful.

Cheers guys
    rob

The ferrule block doesn't look too bad at all from where I'm standing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast