Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyn #20 - The Lescaster

Thanks DM, it was better quality than I was expecting, but it doesn't have the mass that the solid brass ones have. But I guess that a single string ferrule doesn't either.

Thanks Collin, the pine sections are cut from a sheet of 18mm laminated pine and the ply is 12mm AA grade Marine Ply. Not sure where you are located but if you are from Oz it was all purchased from Bunnings.

Tip: Choose the pine sheets carefully, some are quite warped and when all glued together the stresses could cause the ply to delaminate. I found that out the hard way. lol.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Thanks Collin, the pine sections are cut from a sheet of 18mm laminated pine and the ply is 12mm AA grade Marine Ply. Not sure where you are located but if you are from Oz it was all purchased from Bunnings.

Tip: Choose the pine sheets carefully, some are quite warped and when all glued together the stresses could cause the ply to delaminate. I found that out the hard way. lol.

rob
    I have been quite curious about these details. thanks so much for sharing.
    I have a spare neck and am very keen to go down to the BGS and get my share of fun stuff.
    My next build will kick off 1 sept 2021. and im counting the days

No probs Sam, glad to be of some help. I guess that's one of the reasons for my long-winded build diaries, to encourage people.

Believe me when I say, if I can do it anyone can.

rob

So…. I needed to drop the string height by about 1.5mm so I opted for shaving a mm or 2 off the guitar body so that the bridge sat a bit lower. So out with the plane, lots of wood shavings later and now the string action “should” be alright.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2528_1500.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	765.5 KB 
ID:	40153

I also put a couple of coats of stain on the guitar and I must admit to being rather underwhelmed by the result. It is less than eye catching so it looks like I will go with Option B for the finish which was to paint. If that fails I will sand it back and go for the stain again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2533_1500.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	460.2 KB 
ID:	40154

If I get lucky with the weather I should have the painting finished early next week.

Cheers guys
    rob

I reckon if you mock assembled the hardware you might be more impressed...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah I tried that DM but it just looks very plain. If all else fails I will go back to that and maybe give it a bit of a relic look to add some character. But I want to try painting first.

rob

I think it looks good. It will look great with the hardware.
    And love the cavity hole shape.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Thanks Trevor, I guess I was a bit disappointed because the body was showing some nice grain patterns, but they just disappeared when the stain went on. But never mind, paint will go on this week and I'll decide then what I want to do.

I could still see the grain on the stain pictures. Nothing stunning, but it was there. Clear gloss on top would bring it out more. And there's always the sunburst option. Many a plain piece of wood has been made to look more interesting by adding a burst. You could always give that a go and if you don’t like it, then you can still go with a solid colour.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast