Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Lyn #20 - The Lescaster

I'd be tempted to leave a small gap between the pickguard and the body hole. Make a paper template and see what you think.

@Bakersdozen and McCreed,
    Thanks guys much appreciated

@fender3x
    Thanks mate. Some of the guys of the Forums come up with really cool looking original guitars, unfortunately I'm not one of them. So I just stuck with the classics, you can't go wrong with LP and Tele.

rob

@Simon
    I think you are right Simon. I tried to keep as much of the original pickguard shape as possible, but might re-visit it to compliment the unique features of the guitar.

Thanks mate
    rob

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    @fender3x
    Thanks mate. Some of the guys of the Forums come up with really cool looking original guitars, unfortunately I'm not one of them. So I just stuck with the classics, you can't go wrong with LP and Tele.

rob
    My favorites are the ones you look at and *almost* recognize, but the closer you look, the more you see that it hasn't been done before--especially if they look like they'd be good to play ;-)

@fender3x
    Hopefully it will be a good match of designs, something a bit different. But more importantly I hope it will be good to play. Time will tell.

rob

Finally finished, well sort of.

Lyn #20 continued to fight all the way to the finish but all in all I’m pretty happy how she turned out.

She was never going to be a pretty guitar but as I’m not a big fan of reliced guitars I was hoping for the appearance of a guitar made out of old distressed timber. Not sure I pulled it off, but meh, I had to give it a try.

My total lack of for-planning meant that the neck sits a bit too low in the body. I thought I had fixed that by hand planing a mm off the front of the guitar and gluing a piece of veneer in the neck pocket, but alas it looks like I should have planed some more or used 2 pieces of veneer.

Once assembled I eagerly plugged her in to the amp and the neck pickup does not work. So obviously I immediately assumed that I had screwed up the wiring and went on a journey of discovery into the black art of electrickery. For the life of me I still cannot figure out how those CRL 3-way switches work. But I had narrowed it down to the switch or the pickup. Ended up being a dud pickup. Seeing as it was a Tonerider I was quite surprised as I have used dozens of them in the past without a prob.

Luckily I had a standard kit P90 on hand and will be using that until I get the Tonerider sorted. I am expecting a bit of a boost in output once I get the TR installed.

And lastly while doing the setup I found that I cannot get the Allen key into the truss rod nut, so I can’t adjust it. Luckily the neck was perfectly straight when I did the fret level so I only need a smidge more relief for it to be perfect. I will have to see how it goes in a week or two with string tension.

Well enough of the complaints…...pickies

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E2544_1500.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	605.1 KB 
ID:	40683
    I cut down a white Tele scratch plate from one of my PBG kits. Stark white didn’t look right so I aged it with some Feast Watson Proof Tint. It ended up a bit uneven which looks just about right.

Name:	IMG_2554_1500.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	573.3 KB 
ID:	40684
    A bit more detail. Scratch plate is still a bit rough, but as I have to remove it to replace the P90 I’ll tidy it up then.

Name:	IMG_2555_1500.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	555.7 KB 
ID:	40685
    I also “aged” the white binding on the neck.

Name:	IMG_2553_1500.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	583.0 KB 
ID:	40686

Name:	IMG_E2551_1500.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	495.2 KB 
ID:	40687

Just a couple more....

Name:	IMG_2547_1500.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	583.1 KB 
ID:	40688
    Headstock. Another left over piece of the scratch plate used for truss rod cover. The cover and the bone nut, both “aged” appropriately.

Name:	IMG_2548_1500.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	689.0 KB 
ID:	40689
    Back. A bit of a weird colour – stupid iPhone!

Name:	IMG_E2549-1500.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	537.8 KB 
ID:	40690
    Neck

Name:	IMG_2559_1500.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	832.8 KB 
ID:	40691

Cheers guys
    rob

I'm not a big fan of relicing either, but that has turned out pretty bloody well. Nice work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks Dozy, much appreciated mate

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast