Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New boy on the block

New boy on the block

Hey everyone,
    New to rebuilding basses, I`m currently remodelling my Squier Jag bass and having problems with spray paint. I have used Rustoleum 2X spray paint and its taking a long time to cure(gas out) any suggestions or success with rustoleum 2X.
    Also can`t decide between Seaside or Ocean mistClick image for larger version. 

Name:	squier jag 1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	38970
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squier jag neck 1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	38971. I have a red tortoiseshell pickguard and a black pickguard.
    Cheers
    63 Bass

Hey Bass 63, I sprayed my first guitar recently with ColorSpec acrylic, and was super keen to hustle along to polish, but the more experienced boffins on here advised me to just hang it for 4-6 weeks (I know!!) to let the paint properly harden.

I just gave it a sniff every few days and basically waited until it didn't smell like paint anymore and then got into it. It took about 5 weeks for me

Some paint brands take forever to dry properly.
    I got some cheap red spray paint on my JM-1 that's been hanging in the garage for over a month.
    I'll probably play it safe and leave it until (edit) March.

Some of the SCA (SuperCheapAuto) range tends to dry fairly quick.
    Most of the paint aimed at Graffiti artists is designed to dry quick also.

cheers, Mark.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Rustoleum takes forever to out gas. It also reacts with the foam on most guitar stands, so just be wary of that. I used it on my first build and now that it's cured it's very hard, but I wouldn't use it again. For solid colours I'd recommend automotive acrylic.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

I have done experiments with Rustoleum...which does eventually cure.

Your blue looks really good, so if it ain't broke... So this is more of a FWIW. I used rattle cans on my last two projects, one that is a pretty similar color:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	38972

I used MTN 94 paint. This stuff is great for someone who is not a good painter (e.g. someone like me). It has lots of solids so fills almost like filling primer, and it's actually hard to get it to drip. Sands flat easily. Its also a super flat paint, so the shine actually comes from polishing the top coat.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.
    Fender 3x your bass looks great.
    We don`t have much of a choice or colour range in Australia in rattle cans, if it wasn`t for the fact this is the 5th time I`ve sprayed this bass, I am just going to carry on with the Rustoleum brand, ahhh another question, has anybody used rustoleum clear gloss coat on their projects. I was going to use colorspec deep crystal, but tried it on a sample piece of wood and it crinkled. grrrrrr. I could write a novel on how not to paint a guitar. my downfall is patience.

5th time I`ve sprayed this bass, I am just going to carry on with the Rustoleum brand, ahhh another question, has anybody used rustoleum clear gloss coat on their projects.
    I have not used the Rustoleum Clear, but I would suggest trying a bit of base coat on some scrap again, then try the clear over it.

In theory, they should be compatible, but I had a horrible experience with two "compatible" Dulux products a couple years ago.
    I used the Duramax base coat then followed on with their Durmax 2K Clear. It went on fine, but overnight completely crinkled.
    This, despite the 2K clear stating on the can "compatible with all Duramax products" and a phone call to Dulux who basically said: "Huh... well that shouldn't have happened". Thanks a bloody pant-load Dulux!

I can also feel your pain. That same guitar got finished 3 times! I've had pretty good luck with most of my finishing, but that was definitely my worst experience.

I'm not a paint expert, and still trying to completely understand it (even after an embarrassingly number of years) but I think the problem with the Clorspec may have been that the Rustoleum is an acrylic enamel, and the Colorspec is an acrylic lacquer. I think the thinners in ac lac are hotter. Obviously too hot in your case.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I have had mixed luck with sending email to the mfg for guidance... When they answer they will sometimes tell you a kind of topcoat they do not recommend. I have also been told to let the paint completely gas off before applying topcoat. That may be more of an acrylic thing, but fully curing should at least give the the top coat less to react too. My limited experiments with Rustoleum suggest that it takes a really long time to completely gas off, but it will do so eventually. If it were me, I'd wait until you smell absolutely nothing.

BTW, McCreed is a lot better at this than he lets on. His advice is usually pretty good, and some of his finishes are spectacular ;-)

Thanks McCreed
    I`ve got my spraying technique down, but I don`t know where I go wrong after that. Short story: I sprayed the same bass with duplicolor mica green, came out great, clear coated with polyurethane, came out great, wet sand, buff, polish, beautiful mirror finish, put all the hardware back on, and it sank into the clear.......Do over. It`s a learning curve hey.
    cheers from 63 Bass

Cheers fender 3x
    All the the comments are good and I`m getting a better understanding for when I build my first kit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast