Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: String through or top load bridge?

Diggy, I did a string though on my first attempt with no problem. I found the largest drill bit that would fit through the holes in the bridge and used the bridge as a guide to start the holes on the face in the right position. Once I had them started (1mm -2mm deep) I used a drill block to drill them all half way through the body. Then I drilled both e strings all the way through and used the bridge on the back side to pick up the position of the e strings and align the remaining string at the same way.

The key is to get the entry points on the faces nice and even and the bridge can be a guide for that. If they’re a bit wonky in the middle of the body no one will see.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Not sure if these are any good for a contoured body, but a Ferrule Plate might be worth a go if you are concerned about lining up string trough holes.

Attachment 38925
    On eBay for about $15.00

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/String-F...frcectupt=true
    Just be sure the centre to centre string spacing is a correct match for your bridge on these before you buy.
    Whilst it is likely to be 52.5mm E to E, I didn't see anywhere on the listing that states what it is.
    Last edited by McCreed; 25-01-2021 at 05:14 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Another good tip on top of what HereIsJT said, is to get some solid wood about 15mm thick about roughly the size of the bridge. I used some 80mm wide hardwood decking cut into 50mm strips. Practice drilling the string and bridge mounting holes on it. When you've got it perfect, do it a second time and glue the two pieces on top of each other with the holes perfectly aligned. You've now got a drill guide that you can use to get the holes right and help keep the drill bit vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Another good tip on top of what HereIsJT said, is to get some solid wood about 15mm thick about roughly the size of the bridge. I used some 80mm wide hardwood decking cut into 50mm strips. Practice drilling the string and bridge mounting holes on it. When you've got it perfect, do it a second time and glue the two pieces on top of each other with the holes perfectly aligned. You've now got a drill guide that you can use to get the holes right and help keep the drill bit vertical.
    That's a bit brilliant.
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2